Re: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 917

  • David A Barrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2005
      Paul Hodgetts said:

      >As Dave points out, Scrum by the book emphasizes the affinity
      >group that is focused on the potentially shippable increment of
      >product that is emitted from the current sprint, and calls that
      >The Team.

      >Although some rules about who's part of The Team may be useful
      >to a new team so they can instead focus on more pressing issues,
      >it seems to me the question becomes more and more irrelevant as
      >a team matures.

      My first reaction is, "Yeah, what he said...".

      I don't view Scrum as a bondage and discipline methodolgy. At the end of
      the day, whatever works and the team feels comfortable with is good. Keep
      in mind that "works" means that it achieves Scrum objectives.

      We've had occasions when we've had user department testers included in the
      team, although their responsibility is strictly limited to that aspect of
      the Sprint. It seemed to make sense at the time, and it worked too.

      All that being said, the Scrum "rules" are a pretty good starting point for
      teams that are very new to Scrum. As with any other non-trivial activity,
      it is usually a good idea to stick closely to the standard techniques and
      practices until you have enough experience under your belt to start
      improvising.

      Dave Barrett,
      Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company