SCRUM development in a multi-task environment

  • spy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2000
      I am a project manager that recently started using SCRUM methodology as a
      way of re-energizing and re-focussing my team on the current project.

      I have found I had already been using variations of all of the SCRUM
      techniques, and I was intrigued and excited by the prospect of combining all
      of these techniques in a simple incremental and structured approach to the
      "chaos".

      So far the SCRUM is working out great, however the external chaos seems to
      be creeping back in.

      This is primarily due to the fact that our current organizational structure
      relies too heavily on a multi-project multi-task basis.

      Fundamentally I see SCRUM as a single project methodology only. I see the
      primary driving force behind the methodology is the focussing of team effort
      shielding the team from the "chaos"

      I my situation where "chaos" comes in the form of multiple concurrent
      projects with varying priorities, the SCRUM is starting to fall apart.

      Is there any work on such scenarios or are there alternative methodologies.

      I am thinking of running multiple simultaneous SCRUMS whereby the SPRINT's
      are shortened to reflect the decreased time available due to multitasking,
      however this approach seems contrary to the simplified focussed approach of
      SCRUM.

      Any ideas would be appreciated.
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2000
        Scrums work well for teams with a high degree of cohesion and low
        dependencies on other teams. When the chaos in the environment is so
        high that you have to start cancelling sprints, however, reduce the
        length of the spints. Sometimes I lower the sprint length to as
        little as one week, and then - as things get more stable - start
        bringing the length back up.
        During the sprint you'll often find that the team has dependencies
        without which the project won't succeed. Start another Scrum team
        doing this work. Sometimes you'll have multiple teams working on co-
        dependent work. To keep each other informed, have a "scrum of
        scrums" every day after the individual scrums. This is where each
        scrum leader reports on what his team has accomplished and what
        problems they're running into. By sharing this, the teams become
        aware of their mutual progress and can adapt.
        Ken