Re: [scrumdevelopment] Completeness definition

  • Chris Brooks
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
      On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:55:23 +0100, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:

      > > > Refactoring is a big part of Scrum and test driven development in my
      > >
      > > Scrum defines no engineering practices. That is not to say that
      > > refactoring or TDD isn't important, it is just not part of Scrum.
      > >
      > I beg to differ. But I guess that is purely philosohpical. To me it is
      > part of Scrum because scrum does define a methodology that leads to
      > certain processes. Maybe one could argue that it is more part of test
      > driven development than scrum. But then again, who cares :)

      I should clarify my original comment. Fowler's definition of
      refactoring is "the process of changing a software system in such a
      way that it does not alter the external behavior of the code yet
      improves its internal structure."

      My issue was with this statement as a suggested criteria for
      completness: "Code has been refactored". Refactoring describes a
      process, not an end state. I would rather make the criteria something
      like "Code is well factored" and describe a desirable state. To
      suggest that all new code written must be refactored is a bit strong,
      IMHO. Certainly there are cases were the initial implementation of
      software is reasonably well factored.

      --
      Chris Brooks
      http://www.chrisbrooks.org
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4, 2005
        >Sure, the work can be chunked into 30
        >day sprints, and we can build the application with localized testing for
        >the module we just completed, but it can't go to production until
        >everything's done.

        I think, just like the "pigs and chickens" thing (which is only about who
        gets to speak in a daily scrum), people lose track of what the Scrum "rule"
        about "potentially implementable" features is all about.

        There isn't any rule that your entire product has to be deployable at the
        end of every Sprint. IMHO, the rule about making each Sprint Backlog item
        a "potentially implementable" feature has two purposes:

        1. To keep the team focused on "functionality". Creating an artifact, or
        investigating an approach is not a valid SB item. You need something that
        you can demo to the user at the end and show forward movement on
        functionality.

        2. To keep the team focused on finishing. Starting something doesn't
        count. Finishing it does. Size things so that they can be completed, even
        if this means that the incremental gain in functionality is so small as to
        be useless to the end user as a practical matter.

        I don't see any conflict here with scheduling releases to occur some
        quantity of Sprints in the future, nor do I see any conflict with dealing
        with necessary pre-release activities. I don't think you need to be filled
        with angst because some feature that you've developed can't be "released"
        until the whole system has been stress tested for 2 weeks in a lab. The
        rules do make you think about what you are doing, and potentially knock out
        a whole pantload of activities as valid SB items. For instance:

        1. Documentation
        2. UAT
        3. Unit Testing
        4. User Training
        5. Investigation
        6. Bug fixing (as an open-ended, general activity)

        Wouldn't ordinarily qualify. Instead if a feature needs those items
        completed in order to be considered "potentially implementable", then they
        should be included in the SB item for the development of that feature.
        Even here, though, you may need to make exceptions. For instance, you may
        have a separate documentation department, who work on their own schedule
        and need to see a final version of the product before they will update
        documention. The spirit of the thing is the most important: Only take on
        as much stuff as you can finish, and be clear about what "finishing" means.

        Dave Barrett,
        Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company