Re: Building organizational trust by trusting the organization?

  • DianaLarsen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi Brad,

      When I work with teams on their collaboration skills, the subject of trust always comes up
      - because, as you say, it is the first thing to build. I share the following "Six
      Communication Tools to Build Trust and Enhance Team Effectiveness" with them. These
      tools can be applied interpersonally or organizationally.

      • Be consistent and reliable - deliver what you say you will deliver, follow through on the
      things you promise, show up, etc., iterative development is a great opportunity for this
      • Show the other person you listened. - when some other part of the organization
      communicates with you, let them know you got the message (acknowledgement is not
      necessarily agreement), show appreciation as often as possible
      • Lift your "mask" (even a little helps). - let the rest of the organization know what's going
      on with your project, share progress reports with other departments/teams, etc., tell the
      story of your project and include your triumphs and challenges
      • Put yourself in the other person's "shoes." - imagine what it might be like to be the
      faciliities guys who get calls three weeks in a row to shift things in the open workspace
      and work with them accordingly; imagine what constraints the customer or PMO may be
      experiencing
      • Express interest in the team and in your team mates.- show interest in the projects,
      initiatives and lives of the teams and departments most closely aligned with your project,
      ask how you can help when it's appropriate
      • Seek and give effective feedback. - Agile practices thrive on feedback. Seek it out, and
      speak directly and honestly about how the behavior of other parts of the organization
      impact your team.

      Being trustworthy is the quickest way to get others to trust you, and to find others worthy
      of your trust.

      Diana

      Diana Larsen
      www.futureworksconsulting.com 503-288-3550

      Upcoming Workshops:
      "Project Retrospectives and Reviews: A Facilitator's Toolkit"
      March 24-25, 2005, at Oregon Graduate Institute
      http://www.cpd.ogi.edu/coursespecific.asp?pam=1573

      "The Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
      Presenters: Diana Larsen, Esther Derby and Ken Schwaber.
      April 5-7, 2005
      See the Events section of our website for more details...

      "Powerlessness corrupts. Absolute powerlessness corrupts absolutely." Rosabeth Moss
      Kanter, Harvard Business School.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Brad Appleton <bradpro@b...> wrote:
      > I've been doing some more blogging at
      > <http://blog.bradapp.net/>
      > continuing on the subject of "the first thing to build is trust".
      >
      > Part of it stemmed from a thread on the XP list entitled "XP/Agile scales fine! XP
      attitudes do NOT!" about treating the organizational impositions/constraints on an agile
      team as "stories" and treating the organization as another form of "customer". And some
      of it came from something I read on Esther Derby's blog in correlation with something I
      read in Roger Sessions' latest newsletter (see the blof entry at the URL above to follow the
      hyperlinks to these related items).

      > At the end, I pose the question: What are some good ways an agile team can build trust
      with CM, QA/V&V, Program Management, and Systems Engineering?

      > I'll be following up today or tomorrow with some ways of doing this for CM, but I'm
      interested in others' stories on how they've done this with any of these stakeholder groups
      within the larger projectcommunity of a large organization. (Or if you're one of those
      stakeholder groups, what would an agile project/team need to do in order to build trust
      with your group?)