Building organizational trust by trusting the organization?

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      I've been doing some more blogging at
      <http://blog.bradapp.net/>
      continuing on the subject of "the first thing to build is trust".

      Part of it stemmed from a thread on the XP list entitled "XP/Agile scales fine! XP attitudes do NOT!" about treating the organizational impositions/constraints on an agile team as "stories" and treating the organization as another form of "customer". And some of it came from something I read on Esther Derby's blog in correlation with something I read in Roger Sessions' latest newsletter (see the blof entry at the URL above to follow the hyperlinks to these related items).

      At the end, I pose the question: What are some good ways an agile team can build trust with CM, QA/V&V, Program Management, and Systems Engineering?

      I'll be following up today or tomorrow with some ways of doing this for CM, but I'm interested in others' stories on how they've done this with any of these stakeholder groups within the larger projectcommunity of a large organization. (Or if you're one of those stakeholder groups, what would an agile project/team need to do in order to build trust with your group?)

    • DianaLarsen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi Brad,

        When I work with teams on their collaboration skills, the subject of trust always comes up
        - because, as you say, it is the first thing to build. I share the following "Six
        Communication Tools to Build Trust and Enhance Team Effectiveness" with them. These
        tools can be applied interpersonally or organizationally.

        • Be consistent and reliable - deliver what you say you will deliver, follow through on the
        things you promise, show up, etc., iterative development is a great opportunity for this
        • Show the other person you listened. - when some other part of the organization
        communicates with you, let them know you got the message (acknowledgement is not
        necessarily agreement), show appreciation as often as possible
        • Lift your "mask" (even a little helps). - let the rest of the organization know what's going
        on with your project, share progress reports with other departments/teams, etc., tell the
        story of your project and include your triumphs and challenges
        • Put yourself in the other person's "shoes." - imagine what it might be like to be the
        faciliities guys who get calls three weeks in a row to shift things in the open workspace
        and work with them accordingly; imagine what constraints the customer or PMO may be
        experiencing
        • Express interest in the team and in your team mates.- show interest in the projects,
        initiatives and lives of the teams and departments most closely aligned with your project,
        ask how you can help when it's appropriate
        • Seek and give effective feedback. - Agile practices thrive on feedback. Seek it out, and
        speak directly and honestly about how the behavior of other parts of the organization
        impact your team.

        Being trustworthy is the quickest way to get others to trust you, and to find others worthy
        of your trust.

        Diana

        Diana Larsen
        www.futureworksconsulting.com 503-288-3550

        Upcoming Workshops:
        "Project Retrospectives and Reviews: A Facilitator's Toolkit"
        March 24-25, 2005, at Oregon Graduate Institute
        http://www.cpd.ogi.edu/coursespecific.asp?pam=1573

        "The Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
        Presenters: Diana Larsen, Esther Derby and Ken Schwaber.
        April 5-7, 2005
        See the Events section of our website for more details...

        "Powerlessness corrupts. Absolute powerlessness corrupts absolutely." Rosabeth Moss
        Kanter, Harvard Business School.