Re: [scrumdevelopment] field training

  • Hubert Smits
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hal,

      A couple of people are offering such a service, have a look at the
      Agile Alliance roadmap page about Scrum:
      <http://www.agilealliance.org/programs/roadmaps/Roadmap/scrum/scrum_index.htm>

      --Hubert

      On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:54:31 -0800 (PST), hal arnold
      <halarnold2000@...> wrote:

      > Hal anyone ever thought about providing 'mentorship'
      > for newly minted scm's? That is, short of hiring a
      > practicing experienced scrum master to come to ones
      > place of employment (we know that works), wouldn't it
      > be almost as useful to 'watch' one of these
      > experienced guys/gals in the field doing what they do?
      >
      > /hba

    • Paul Hodgetts
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        hal arnold wrote:

        > Hal anyone ever thought about providing 'mentorship'
        > for newly minted scm's? That is, short of hiring a
        > practicing experienced scrum master to come to ones
        > place of employment (we know that works), wouldn't it
        > be almost as useful to 'watch' one of these
        > experienced guys/gals in the field doing what they do?

        If I understand what you are looking for, it would have to be
        a company that has an established, reasonably healthy Scrum
        team running. I know of companies like this, but many of them
        would not be very comfortable inviting an outsider in to see
        the daily workings of their team and product development
        efforts. I'm sure there are some that would (probably with
        appropriate NDAs and all), and I think it would be great if
        they would offer such an opportunity.

        At Agile Logic, we typically help teams transition to Scrum,
        so the teams we are working with are newer Scrum teams that need
        the training and coaching to prepare for and kick-off a project.
        Observing these teams would not be helpful in seeing a seasoned
        CSM in action, but observing these transition efforts would give
        some insights into how to transition a team to Scrum. Although
        not the same thing, we would entertain the possibility of
        someone apprenticing along on these engagements where possible
        and permitted by clients. Please contact me ***off line*** if
        interested.

        Hubert Smits replied:

        > A couple of people are offering such a service, have a look
        > at the Agile Alliance roadmap page about Scrum:
        > http://www.agilealliance.org/programs/roadmaps/Roadmap/scrum/scrum_index.htm

        I can't seem to locate mentorship opportunities on that page.
        I see several people listed who have generously offered to
        answer questions and discuss issues, but I don't see any
        companies that have offered to invite CSMs to come and watch
        their Scrum team in action.

        Regards,
        Paul
        -----
        Paul Hodgetts -- CEO, Coach, Trainer, Consultant
        Agile Logic -- www.agilelogic.com
        Training, Coaching, Consulting -- On-Site & Out-Sourced Development
        Agile Processes/Scrum/Lean/XP -- Java/J2EE, .NET, OOA/D, UED, SOA

        Upcoming Events:

        Certified ScrumMaster Training, Las Vegas, NV - April 25-26, 2005
        http://www.agilelogic.com/CSM.html