Scrum of Scrums

  • dtrowern
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 20, 2005
      Hi everyone I just sign up with the group yesterday. I have a
      question / looking for advice on the scrum of scrums.

      I currently have 4 scrum teams all working of the same code base /
      project, each team consisting of 6 people. I have two daily stand up
      sessions, one at 9:30 - 9:45 for two of the teams (in separate
      rooms / areas), and one at 9:45-10:00am for the other two teams
      (using the two same separate rooms / areas that the first two teams
      use). Meeting room space is in short supply which is partly the
      reason for doing the above. Then at 10:05-10:20am I have a scrum of
      scrums whereby the scrum masters for each of the four teams attend,
      as does one 'pig' representative from each of the teams. At the
      scrum of scrums we ask each 'pig' representative to answer the
      following questions: What did my team do since the last scrum of
      scrums? What is my team planning on doing before the next scrum of
      scrums? What blocking issues does their team have? I also find us
      scrum master discussing the blocking issues although we are pretty
      good at keeping the meeting to 15 minutes.

      So my questions are:

      1. Is this the recommended approach when using multiple scrum teams?
      2. Do other people hold the scrum of scrums straight after the daily
      scrums or do people have better suggestions on timing?
      3. I feel for some of the team members instead of just being
      involved in a 15 minute daily stand up, they are involved in 30-45
      minutes of stand ups which feels too much. Am I basically on the
      right track with my approach or can I refine it?
    • Mike Dwyer
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 28, 2006

        http://www.santacruzpl.org/readyref/files/a-b/bastard.shtml

        Michael F. Dwyer

        "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."