Re: [scrumdevelopment] DOI

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2005
      In a message dated 2/18/2005 2:52:25 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
      Deb writes:
      <<I do observe that, when "we" is removed, all of my objections are
      toned down a couple of notches.>>
      Interesting.  I am specifically guilty for this.  My reading of the text without a 'we' is that it is a group of would-be grandmasters lecturing down to disciples.
      Read the text without a 'we':

      1. Increase return on investment by ...
      2. Deliver reliable results by ...
      3. Manage uncertainty through ...
      4. Unleash creativity and innovation by ...
      5. Boost performance through ...
      6. Improve effectiveness and reliability through ...
      This comes across to me as talk-down style, and I would have a hard time signing my name to anything that directed and lecturing. I felt that with a 'we', we were at least being honest about what we do (echo the agile manifesto, with "through doing and blah blah, we ...")

      With the 'we', other people can say, "We do that, too"; without the 'we', I feel people would have to say, "I accept to do that".

      Anyway, that's my emotional response to the 'we' question, and I worked my bit to convince the others likewise.

      Alistair Cockburn