Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Developer metrics?

  • Gary Feldman
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 17, 2005
      Todd Hartle wrote:
      > - An Artifact: another development team was not diligent about their
      > code reviews so we now needed a way to prove they were happening. A
      > signoff sheet was created. However, then the grading concept was
      > suggested as well.

      Question: Are you using a formal inspection methodology (e.g. Fagan inspections), or just doing reviews according to some internally derived process that doesn't really match published processes?

      Take a look at http://members.aol.com/ONeillDon/nsqe-assessment.html (which is just the first web site I found that has a simple list of standard software inspection metrics). These satisfy the artifact requirement by showing the grand total of effort put each inspection, but not individual effort numbers. I believe that metrics shouldn't even give the appearance of measuring individual performance, otherwise they'll be distorted.

      As a general rule, metrics should measure the process, not the people.

      Gary