RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scaling Scrum

  • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 80 , Feb 3 10:57 AM
      MikeB
      When I wrote that I was thinking back to the late 80's and 90's when there was push to move testing into the requirements definition phase in the SDLC model.  I consider that to be traditional as the failure point in that movement was encumbering the requirements phase with a "test cycle".

      But you are correct in stating that this is an Agile approach, and in particular the TDD methodology has effectively made this a reality.

      For some interesting readings in testing I would recommend checking out  publications by Cem Kaner and Bret Pettichord respectively.

      --
      Mike Dwyer

      "I Keep six faithful serving-men
      Who serve me well and true:
      Their names are What and Where and When
      And How and Why and Who." - Kipling

      Mike Dwyer [mailto:mike.dwyer1@...] wrote:

      >Traditional methods have gone as far as to place testing people in the

      >midst of requirements gathering to effectively develop requirements that

      >can be tested.  This by the way is a truly novel idea as it forces the

      >requirements gathers to actually explain what a function or requirement

      >should provide.

      Mike,

      I was just re-reading your post once again....

      Did you mean "Agile Methods" instead of "Traditional methods"?

      It seems that way from the use of "truly novel idea".

      Mike Dwyer [mailto:mike.dwyer1@...] wrote:

      >Scaling Scrum in our shop has pushed testing out to every thing we touch

      >and has migrated to the business community where they now turn to us

      >looking for insight into 'testing' operational business rules.

      This reminds me of something I wrote a while back:

      http://www.easycomp.org/cgi-bin/OrgPatterns?ModelOffice

      Many of us, btw, have use Scrum for the larger business process

      change cycle.  At that level, application development is merged with

      change management activities.  Some examples are for us:

      customer service operations, privacy functions, and as of

      late governance functions, etc.

      - Mike

      Michael A. Beedle

      CEO

      New Governance Inc.

      2275 Half Day Rd, Suite 350

      Bannockburn, IL 60015

      www: http://www.newgovernance.com

      Office: 847-821-2631

      Cell: 847-840-9890

    • kschwaber
      Message 80 of 80 , Oct 30, 2014

        Jeff Sutherland and I are concerned. Many organizations are now trying to scale Scrum to larger projects and to entire organizational units, reaping the benefits they have seen in smaller Scrum initiatives.

        Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of guidance on how to do this. This has given rise to IBM's methodological response to DevOps, and to commercial one-size-fits all methodologies like SAFe and DAD.

        To read more about how we intend to fill this need in a manner consonant with the Agile Manifesto and the principles of Scrum, I refer you to a blog I wrote at Scaling Scrum.