New to Scrum

  • GM
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005
      Dear All,

      I 'm new to scrum. Can somebody tell me , How I should start using
      SCRUm for my projects.

      I 'm very keen to utilize this Agile process.

      Thanks in Advance.

      Regards,
      Gaurav Mishra
    • Jackie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hello,

        The company that I work for is in process of moving over to Agile
        project management and Scrum and I have a few questions.

        First, a bit of background. We are a small software development
        company with about 11 developers (this includes the web team and 2
        server admins). Most everyone does not have experience with the
        traditional project management style, so I believe that the transition
        will be easy for them.

        Here are my questions;
        1. Can a developer work on 2 different products at the same time? And
        if so, how do they manage it?
        2. If we have multiple projects going on at the same time do I hold
        one daily scrum meeting or different ones for each project?
        3. If a developer is working on 2 products how do I keep the 2
        different product owners from clashing or butting heads?

        Any help would be great!

        Thank you,

        Jackie
      • Tom Hume
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
          Jackie

          It sounds like we might be structurally similar to yourself: a team of 10, working on multiple projects in any given sprint.

          We're 6 months into a Scrum (with bits of XP) implementation. From what I've heard, Scrum works best when everyone's working on the same project - and on the rare occasions we've managed to get the whole team working for one customer, we've seen an uplift in productivity.

          One problem that running a scrum team on multiple projects will probably throw up early is prioritisation between these projects (particularly if like us, they're for different clients) - there's a finite development resource which will be allocated during sprint planning and it's *never* enough. I think this is particularly noticable if, like us, you do your planning based on velocity: at the start of pretty well every sprint we have to scale back our ambitions for that sprint, and our velocity is remarkably consistent (save for when we cut down the number of simultaneous projects).

          We have had periods when a single product owner rationalising priorities between clients. We've also had periods when 2 product owners debated priorities before and during the planning meeting. Both situations have been reasonably stressful, good relations between our POs in the latter case meant that most conflict were sorted out. We're in the process of moving back to a single PO role, but mainly for structural reasons (since our last PO left a couple of us have shared her workload, and we've only recently replaced her).

          We've always had a single daily standup for the whole team, and conducted reviews of the whole teams work at the end of each sprint. We've found this can be a good way of keeping the whole team up-to-speed with what everyone's doing; equally we've had times when everyone felt disconnected from everyone else and questioned the value of them. In the distant past we tried having separate standups for separate projects but this got messy, particularly when folks moved between projects during a sprint - and certainly there was no sense of group responsibility for delivering the sprint goal.

          I've written a fair bit about our experiences moving to Scrum at http://tomhume.org/

          Tom

          --
          Future Platforms Ltd
          t: +44 (0) 1273 819038

        • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
            Hi Jackie,

            first of all: welcome to the group. There are lots of people here with tons of experience, I am sure you will get a lot of good advice (as I did when I started out 3 years ago).
            Now to your questions:
            11 developers is on the big side for a single scrum team, having 2 teams is possibly better. However, having said that, you should only have ONE product backlog, and that ONE product backlog should contain a prioritized list of all work from all projects. You should also only have ONE Product Owner. He is the person that has to worry about prioritization, not the team. He is responsible for business value and ROI.
            For each sprint it would be very beneficial if each team could focus on one project. Context switching is expensive, especially if the different contexts also use different technologies and frameworks, so try and avoid it.
            If you have two project/product managers for the 2 products, then nominate somebody else as the scrum product owner. These three then have to sort out any priority issues and come to the sprint planning meeting with FULLY PREPARED product backlog.
            Make sure any developer only belongs to one team. Focus is a very important aspect of any development work, and especially scrum. You should have a daily standup for each of the scrum teams. With 11 people you could try one big standup, but it will require a lot of discipline (and quite a bit of practice) to keep that to a small timebox. I would recommend 2 separate standups. The 2 scrum masters should then have a daily scrum of scrums, possibly in the presence of the PO to highlight any impediments or other issues.
            Hope this answers some of your questions. Please keep on asking.

            Regards,

            Wolfgang