Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: backlog vs. work breakdown structure

  • todd
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
      Very nice. Thanks.

      Mike Cohn wrote:

      > Dan--
      > Take a look at slide 19 in the "Redistributable Intro to Scrum"
      > presentation
      > on my site at http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations.php
      > That is
      > a screen shot of an actual sprint backlog in Excel on a real project. My
      > guideline is that items are typically 1-16 hours in length on the sprint
      > backlog.
      >
      > --Mike Cohn
      > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
      > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

    • David Laffineuse
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
        Actually I would expect that the team should determine the level of detail
        that they need in order to organize themselves and meet the Sprint target.
        Whether they need a few lines on a white board or a 200 task Microsoft
        Project plan should be up to them.
        At the very least I would recommend an understanding of who does what, what
        do they need from others to do their work (inputs), and a clear
        understanding of 'done' (outputs). Once again that can take many forms...

        ____________________
        David Laffineuse
        laffineuse@...
        Skype 'laffineuse'

        --- brentbarton <bbarton@...> wrote:

        > The link added the period. try this
        >
        > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html
        >
        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com,
        > "brentbarton"
        > <bbarton@s...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dave Barrett said
        > >
        > > > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum,
        > you would need to
        > > find a way
        > > > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent
        > to everyone.
        > > Perhaps using
        > > > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial
        > Backlog",
        > or "Scrum
        > > Backlog
        > > > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd
        > need to make a
        > > review of the
        > > > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review.
        > Maybe you could
        > > colour code
        > > > the chart, with green for completed items, red
        > for high priority
        > > (front
        > > > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back
        > burner) and blue
        > > for lowest
        > > > priority (fridge) items.
        > >
        > > A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
        >
        > > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This
        > is an application
        > > of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose
        > of providing a
        > > vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf
        > and an excel
        > > spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this
        > addresses some of
        > > you thoughts.
        > >
        > > Brent Barton

        Yahoo! Groups Links