RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: backlog vs. work breakdown structure

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
      Dan--
      Take a look at slide 19 in the "Redistributable Intro to Scrum" presentation
      on my site at http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations.php That is
      a screen shot of an actual sprint backlog in Excel on a real project. My
      guideline is that items are typically 1-16 hours in length on the sprint
      backlog.

      --Mike Cohn
      www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
        Very nice. Thanks.

        Mike Cohn wrote:

        > Dan--
        > Take a look at slide 19 in the "Redistributable Intro to Scrum"
        > presentation
        > on my site at http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations.php
        > That is
        > a screen shot of an actual sprint backlog in Excel on a real project. My
        > guideline is that items are typically 1-16 hours in length on the sprint
        > backlog.
        >
        > --Mike Cohn
        > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
        > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

      • David Laffineuse
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
          Actually I would expect that the team should determine the level of detail
          that they need in order to organize themselves and meet the Sprint target.
          Whether they need a few lines on a white board or a 200 task Microsoft
          Project plan should be up to them.
          At the very least I would recommend an understanding of who does what, what
          do they need from others to do their work (inputs), and a clear
          understanding of 'done' (outputs). Once again that can take many forms...

          ____________________
          David Laffineuse
          laffineuse@...
          Skype 'laffineuse'

          --- brentbarton <bbarton@...> wrote:

          > The link added the period. try this
          >
          > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html
          >
          > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com,
          > "brentbarton"
          > <bbarton@s...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dave Barrett said
          > >
          > > > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum,
          > you would need to
          > > find a way
          > > > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent
          > to everyone.
          > > Perhaps using
          > > > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial
          > Backlog",
          > or "Scrum
          > > Backlog
          > > > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd
          > need to make a
          > > review of the
          > > > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review.
          > Maybe you could
          > > colour code
          > > > the chart, with green for completed items, red
          > for high priority
          > > (front
          > > > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back
          > burner) and blue
          > > for lowest
          > > > priority (fridge) items.
          > >
          > > A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
          >
          > > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This
          > is an application
          > > of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose
          > of providing a
          > > vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf
          > and an excel
          > > spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this
          > addresses some of
          > > you thoughts.
          > >
          > > Brent Barton

          Yahoo! Groups Links