Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: backlog vs. work breakdown structure

  • dan mcdonnell
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
      Currently my team is struggling with the level of
      detail to capture in a plan for the Sprint. Does
      anyone have an example of an entire Sprint project
      plan in either excel or project? I would appreciate
      if I could get some insight into the level of detail
      that was captured. Thanks
      --- brentbarton <bbarton@...> wrote:

      > The link added the period. try this
      >
      > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com,
      > "brentbarton"
      > <bbarton@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dave Barrett said
      > >
      > > > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum,
      > you would need to
      > > find a way
      > > > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent
      > to everyone.
      > > Perhaps using
      > > > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial
      > Backlog",
      > or "Scrum
      > > Backlog
      > > > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd
      > need to make a
      > > review of the
      > > > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review.
      > Maybe you could
      > > colour code
      > > > the chart, with green for completed items, red
      > for high priority
      > > (front
      > > > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back
      > burner) and blue
      > > for lowest
      > > > priority (fridge) items.
      > >
      > > A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
      >
      > > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This
      > is an application
      > > of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose
      > of providing a
      > > vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf
      > and an excel
      > > spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this
      > addresses some of
      > > you thoughts.
      > >
      > > Brent Barton

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
        Dan--
        Take a look at slide 19 in the "Redistributable Intro to Scrum" presentation
        on my site at http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations.php That is
        a screen shot of an actual sprint backlog in Excel on a real project. My
        guideline is that items are typically 1-16 hours in length on the sprint
        backlog.

        --Mike Cohn

        --- brentbarton <bbarton@...> wrote:

        > The link added the period. try this
        >
        > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html
        >
        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com,
        > "brentbarton"
        > <bbarton@s...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dave Barrett said
        > >
        > > > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum,
        > you would need to
        > > find a way
        > > > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent
        > to everyone.
        > > Perhaps using
        > > > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial
        > Backlog",
        > or "Scrum
        > > Backlog
        > > > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd
        > need to make a
        > > review of the
        > > > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review.
        > Maybe you could
        > > colour code
        > > > the chart, with green for completed items, red
        > for high priority
        > > (front
        > > > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back
        > burner) and blue
        > > for lowest
        > > > priority (fridge) items.
        > >
        > > A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
        >
        > > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This
        > is an application
        > > of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose
        > of providing a
        > > vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf
        > and an excel
        > > spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this
        > addresses some of
        > > you thoughts.
        > >
        > > Brent Barton

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • todd
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
          Very nice. Thanks.

          Mike Cohn wrote:

          > Dan--
          > Take a look at slide 19 in the "Redistributable Intro to Scrum"
          > presentation
          > on my site at http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations.php
          > That is
          > a screen shot of an actual sprint backlog in Excel on a real project. My
          > guideline is that items are typically 1-16 hours in length on the sprint
          > backlog.
          >
          > --Mike Cohn
          > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
          > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

        • David Laffineuse
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
            Actually I would expect that the team should determine the level of detail
            that they need in order to organize themselves and meet the Sprint target.
            Whether they need a few lines on a white board or a 200 task Microsoft
            Project plan should be up to them.
            At the very least I would recommend an understanding of who does what, what
            do they need from others to do their work (inputs), and a clear
            understanding of 'done' (outputs). Once again that can take many forms...

            ____________________
            David Laffineuse
            laffineuse@...
            Skype 'laffineuse'

            --- brentbarton <bbarton@...> wrote:

            > The link added the period. try this
            >
            > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html
            >
            > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com,
            > "brentbarton"
            > <bbarton@s...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dave Barrett said
            > >
            > > > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum,
            > you would need to
            > > find a way
            > > > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent
            > to everyone.
            > > Perhaps using
            > > > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial
            > Backlog",
            > or "Scrum
            > > Backlog
            > > > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd
            > need to make a
            > > review of the
            > > > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review.
            > Maybe you could
            > > colour code
            > > > the chart, with green for completed items, red
            > for high priority
            > > (front
            > > > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back
            > burner) and blue
            > > for lowest
            > > > priority (fridge) items.
            > >
            > > A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
            >
            > > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This
            > is an application
            > > of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose
            > of providing a
            > > vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf
            > and an excel
            > > spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this
            > addresses some of
            > > you thoughts.
            > >
            > > Brent Barton

            Yahoo! Groups Links