Re: [scrumdevelopment] RUP XP Plug-In

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
      On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 10:21:25 AM, Laurent Bossavit wrote:

      > Lowell:

      >> My belief is that anything that gets people exposed to the values and
      >> principles and gets them trying the practices is good for XP and Agile.

      > When you say "anything", do you really mean *anything* ?

      Can you think of something that gets people exposed to the values and
      principles, and gets them trying the practices, but that is not good
      for XP and agile?

      For extra credit, can you think of anything a reasonable person would
      actually do that meets those criteria?

      Wisdom begins when we discover the difference between
      "That makes no sense" and "I don't understand". --Mary Doria Russell
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
        My comment that this will be "bad for XP" was because I think it will
        cause lots of companies to experiment with XP and find that it doesn't
        work for them. For example, a company may decide it likes Simple Design
        and Refactoring but not TDD or Pair Programming. They'll try that and
        probably finds it degenerates into hacking. They'll then spread the word
        that XP didn't work "when we tried it." One of my big concerns is that
        we're entering a period where we're going to hear lots of failure
        stories about people who "tried" agile methods but didn't really try
        them:

        --"We did XP except that silly testing stuff, the pair programming and
        the on-site customer and in the end our product wasn't what the market
        wanted and it was buggy!"
        --"We tried Scrum except for those dumb daily meetings and after two
        six-month long sprints our product wasn't very good."
        --"We left the prototyping out of DSDM and it didn't work for us."

        There's a discontinuity in one's thinking between agile and plan-driven
        processes and I think new adoptees either need to "get it" or they need
        to try agile "by the book" and do everything prescribed exactly as
        prescribed until they do get it. Because RUP is such a "pick what you
        need" tool/methodology it seems clear that users of the plugin will
        bring that mindset to it and some will undoubtedly pick some horrible
        combinations of XP + their current process.

        You're right though--if someone eventually gets XP (any agile process)
        after having done it by faith (but completely) they will become very
        firm believers. And I'm sure the plugin will lead to that type of
        experience for many new XP converts. My comment was about those who use
        the plugin but order from it as though it were a restaurant menu.

        --Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
          > > When you say "anything", do you really mean *anything* ?
          >
          > Can you think of something that gets people exposed to the values and
          > principles, and gets them trying the practices, but that is not good
          > for XP and agile?

          Yes. Easily. The term "anything" covers a lot of ground. Can you
          think of one specific example, and describe it ? ;->

          > For extra credit, can you think of anything a reasonable person would
          > actually do that meets those criteria?

          Yeah. A reasonable manager might be swayed by (say) the RUP XP plug-
          in, and (not meaning any harm) instruct his subordinates "You *will*
          use XP on all projects henceforth. Here, this CD-ROM has what you
          need to succeed."

          Bitter personal experience suggests that such an approach might leave
          some people *less* inclined to consider agile process than they were
          previously.

          Cheers,

          -[Morendil]-
          On a clear disk you can seek forever
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
            On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 11:18:57 AM, Laurent Bossavit wrote:

            >> > When you say "anything", do you really mean *anything* ?
            >>
            >> Can you think of something that gets people exposed to the values and
            >> principles, and gets them trying the practices, but that is not good
            >> for XP and agile?

            > Yes. Easily. The term "anything" covers a lot of ground. Can you
            > think of one specific example, and describe it ? ;->

            >> For extra credit, can you think of anything a reasonable person would
            >> actually do that meets those criteria?

            > Yeah. A reasonable manager might be swayed by (say) the RUP XP plug-
            > in, and (not meaning any harm) instruct his subordinates "You *will*
            > use XP on all projects henceforth. Here, this CD-ROM has what you
            > need to succeed."

            > Bitter personal experience suggests that such an approach might leave
            > some people *less* inclined to consider agile process than they were
            > previously.

            I suggest that this example doesn't meet Lowell's criteria: it doesn't
            expose people to the values and principles, and doesn't do a good job
            of getting them trying the practices.

            But if it /did/ really expose them to the values and principles, and
            really /did/ get them trying the practices, the outcome you describe
            seems quite unlikely.

            Am I missing something?

            He who will not apply new remedies must expect old evils. -- Francis Bacon
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
              On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 11:10:28 AM, Mike Cohn wrote:

              > My comment that this will be "bad for XP" was because I think it will
              > cause lots of companies to experiment with XP and find that it doesn't
              > work for them. For example, a company may decide it likes Simple Design
              > and Refactoring but not TDD or Pair Programming. They'll try that and
              > probably finds it degenerates into hacking. They'll then spread the word
              > that XP didn't work "when we tried it." One of my big concerns is that
              > we're entering a period where we're going to hear lots of failure
              > stories about people who "tried" agile methods but didn't really try
              > them:

              > --"We did XP except that silly testing stuff, the pair programming and
              > the on-site customer and in the end our product wasn't what the market
              > wanted and it was buggy!"
              > --"We tried Scrum except for those dumb daily meetings and after two
              > six-month long sprints our product wasn't very good."
              > --"We left the prototyping out of DSDM and it didn't work for us."

              Yes. I've spent a lot of time in the past few years digging into such
              claims and finding out what they didn't do.

              The problem occurs in teams who think they are really trying the new
              thing. I'm not sure that RUP exacerbates that problem: in fact, I
              think it possible that putting some RUP phases over a half-bun XP or
              Scrum project might detect problems /sooner/ than if there were no
              command and control guys around.

              > There's a discontinuity in one's thinking between agile and plan-driven
              > processes and I think new adoptees either need to "get it" or they need
              > to try agile "by the book" and do everything prescribed exactly as
              > prescribed until they do get it. Because RUP is such a "pick what you
              > need" tool/methodology it seems clear that users of the plugin will
              > bring that mindset to it and some will undoubtedly pick some horrible
              > combinations of XP + their current process.

              I would prefer that as well. We've tried, and will continue to try, to
              make the plug-in clear on that point, and to educate Rational further
              as well. It is true that they come from a big systems, command and
              control, defined kind of thinking, so it's hard for them. It is also
              true that good things have come from that thinking as well as some not
              so good things.

              I don't think RUP is the devil. I think chaos is the devil.

              > You're right though--if someone eventually gets XP (any agile process)
              > after having done it by faith (but completely) they will become very
              > firm believers. And I'm sure the plugin will lead to that type of
              > experience for many new XP converts. My comment was about those who use
              > the plugin but order from it as though it were a restaurant menu.

              Yes. It could happen. It will happen. If there's to be a plug-in, I
              want it to be as clear as possible. That's why I reluctantly agreed to
              be a part of it, and why I so badly want the community's input.

              Discontinue reading if rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops.
              Especially irritation.