Large Federal Software Projects

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 2, 2005

      And you wonder what would have happened if they had used Scrum:

      "They should build off-ramps early in the process, so if they think things are going south, they can push the reset button," recommends Pentagon deputy CIO Paul Brubaker.

      Read the full article at:

      http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/01/ap/ap_013105.asp

      The FBI's failure to deliver its Virtual Case File project, a $170 million effort to set up a paperless, globe-spanning information-sharing system to more effectively investigate terrorists and criminals, is the latest blow in a long history of costly technology debacles the U.S. government has made over the last 10 years or so. The bureau said Virtual Case File was insufficient and out of date, and might be scrapped in favor of off-the-shelf software. Critics call the FBI fiasco a demonstration of the government's tendency to custom-build software, which can lead to significant increases in cost and complexity. Still, experts note that commercial products may need extensive refinement in order to be effective tools for terrorist-tracking and other services. Attempts by the FAA and the IRS to overhaul, upgrade, or replace key systems have also been criticized for missed delivery dates and budget overruns. TenFold CEO Nancy Harvey and others argue that corporate tech upgrade failures occur with almost the same frequency as federal upgrade failures, the difference being that the former receive nowhere near the amount of publicity as the latter. Some industry experts believe the FBI made a wise move in considering shelving Virtual Case File now, as the potential $170 million write-off would be far less expensive than other federal tech failures. "They should build off-ramps early in the process, so if they think things are going south, they can push the reset button," recommends Pentagon deputy CIO Paul Brubaker.

      -        Mike

      Michael A. Beedle Ph. D.

      CEO

      New Governance Inc.