Re: [scrumdevelopment] Communication Load Guess-work

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2005
      Industry data on exponential loss in productivity with increasing team
      size can be found in slides 14 and 15 of my Scrum Theory presentation
      at:
      http://jeffsutherland.com/papers/OTUG2003/Scrum_Theory_files/frame.htm

      Jeff Sutherland

      On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:58:37 -0600, Cote' <bushwald@...> wrote:

      > Recently, I playing around with some *extremely* rough guess work
      > about how long it would take teams of various sizes to complete a set
      > of work. For example, say I had an estimated work load of 6 months,
      > and I wanted to see how long it would take for a team of 3, 7, 10, and
      > 15 to complete it. (I realize that's a completely fantasy-land task to
      > go about doing.)
      >
      > When doing this, I was trying to come up with a communications
      > overhead load factor to apply: something that simply helps illustrate
      > the point that for each person you add, there's a certain amount of
      > time added because the group of people grows and, thus, the time it
      > takes to communicate as a team grows as well.
      >
      > I was sure I'd read something about this somewhere, but I couldn't
      > find it. Almost every source I read mentioned this problem, but didn't
      > give any rule-of-thumb type metrics to use.
      >
      > So, my question is, what are some good numbers to use to get a feeling
      > for the extra time, due to communications overhead, that adding more
      > team members creates?
      >
      > --
      > http://www.drunkandretired.com

      Jeff Sutherland, Ph.D.
      CTO PatientKeeper Inc.
      Certified ScrumMaster Practitioner and Inventor of the Agile Scrum Process
      Microsoft Business Framework Advisory Council
      Object Management Group/HL7 Liaison Committee
      Co-Chair, HL7 Orders and Observations Technical Committee
      Co-Investigator, Operating Room of the Future, Univ. of Maryland Medical System
      617-947-7400 mobile
      jeff.sutherland@...