Re: backlog vs. work breakdown structure

  • brentbarton
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2005
      Dave Barrett said

      > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum, you would need to
      find a way
      > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent to everyone.
      Perhaps using
      > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial Backlog", or "Scrum
      Backlog
      > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd need to make a
      review of the
      > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review. Maybe you could
      colour code
      > the chart, with green for completed items, red for high priority
      (front
      > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back burner) and blue
      for lowest
      > priority (fridge) items.

      A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
      http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This is an application
      of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose of providing a
      vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf and an excel
      spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this addresses some of
      you thoughts.

      Brent Barton
    • brentbarton
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 27, 2005
        The link added the period. try this

        http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "brentbarton"
        <bbarton@s...> wrote:

        > Dave Barrett said
        >
        > > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum, you would need to
        > find a way
        > > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent to everyone.
        > Perhaps using
        > > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial Backlog",
        or "Scrum
        > Backlog
        > > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd need to make a
        > review of the
        > > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review. Maybe you could
        > colour code
        > > the chart, with green for completed items, red for high priority
        > (front
        > > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back burner) and blue
        > for lowest
        > > priority (fridge) items.
        >
        > A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
        > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This is an application
        > of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose of providing a
        > vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf and an excel
        > spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this addresses some of
        > you thoughts.
        >
        > Brent Barton
      • dan mcdonnell
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
          Currently my team is struggling with the level of
          detail to capture in a plan for the Sprint. Does
          anyone have an example of an entire Sprint project
          plan in either excel or project? I would appreciate
          if I could get some insight into the level of detail
          that was captured. Thanks
          --- brentbarton <bbarton@...> wrote:

          > The link added the period. try this
          >
          > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html
          >
          > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com,
          > "brentbarton"
          > <bbarton@s...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dave Barrett said
          > >
          > > > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum,
          > you would need to
          > > find a way
          > > > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent
          > to everyone.
          > > Perhaps using
          > > > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial
          > Backlog",
          > or "Scrum
          > > Backlog
          > > > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd
          > need to make a
          > > review of the
          > > > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review.
          > Maybe you could
          > > colour code
          > > > the chart, with green for completed items, red
          > for high priority
          > > (front
          > > > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back
          > burner) and blue
          > > for lowest
          > > > priority (fridge) items.
          > >
          > > A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
          >
          > > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This
          > is an application
          > > of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose
          > of providing a
          > > vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf
          > and an excel
          > > spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this
          > addresses some of
          > > you thoughts.
          > >
          > > Brent Barton

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Mike Cohn
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
            Dan--
            Take a look at slide 19 in the "Redistributable Intro to Scrum" presentation
            on my site at http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations.php That is
            a screen shot of an actual sprint backlog in Excel on a real project. My
            guideline is that items are typically 1-16 hours in length on the sprint
            backlog.

            --Mike Cohn

            --- brentbarton <bbarton@...> wrote:

            > The link added the period. try this
            >
            > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html
            >
            > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com,
            > "brentbarton"
            > <bbarton@s...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dave Barrett said
            > >
            > > > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum,
            > you would need to
            > > find a way
            > > > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent
            > to everyone.
            > > Perhaps using
            > > > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial
            > Backlog",
            > or "Scrum
            > > Backlog
            > > > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd
            > need to make a
            > > review of the
            > > > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review.
            > Maybe you could
            > > colour code
            > > > the chart, with green for completed items, red
            > for high priority
            > > (front
            > > > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back
            > burner) and blue
            > > for lowest
            > > > priority (fridge) items.
            > >
            > > A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
            >
            > > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This
            > is an application
            > > of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose
            > of providing a
            > > vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf
            > and an excel
            > > spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this
            > addresses some of
            > > you thoughts.
            > >
            > > Brent Barton

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • todd
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
              Very nice. Thanks.

              Mike Cohn wrote:

              > Dan--
              > Take a look at slide 19 in the "Redistributable Intro to Scrum"
              > presentation
              > on my site at http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations.php
              > That is
              > a screen shot of an actual sprint backlog in Excel on a real project. My
              > guideline is that items are typically 1-16 hours in length on the sprint
              > backlog.
              >
              > --Mike Cohn
              > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
              > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

            • David Laffineuse
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
                Actually I would expect that the team should determine the level of detail
                that they need in order to organize themselves and meet the Sprint target.
                Whether they need a few lines on a white board or a 200 task Microsoft
                Project plan should be up to them.
                At the very least I would recommend an understanding of who does what, what
                do they need from others to do their work (inputs), and a clear
                understanding of 'done' (outputs). Once again that can take many forms...

                ____________________
                David Laffineuse
                laffineuse@...
                Skype 'laffineuse'

                --- brentbarton <bbarton@...> wrote:

                > The link added the period. try this
                >
                > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html
                >
                > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com,
                > "brentbarton"
                > <bbarton@s...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Dave Barrett said
                > >
                > > > I think, to make a WBS a useful part of Scrum,
                > you would need to
                > > find a way
                > > > to ensure that its evolving nature is apparent
                > to everyone.
                > > Perhaps using
                > > > a new term, something like "Scrum Hierarchial
                > Backlog",
                > or "Scrum
                > > Backlog
                > > > Structure" would be a good start. Then you'd
                > need to make a
                > > review of the
                > > > chart an integral part of each Sprint Review.
                > Maybe you could
                > > colour code
                > > > the chart, with green for completed items, red
                > for high priority
                > > (front
                > > > burner) items, yellow for lower priority (back
                > burner) and blue
                > > for lowest
                > > > priority (fridge) items.
                > >
                > > A follow up effort using Dan's WBS can be found at
                >
                > > http://www.solutionsiq.com/pbs/scrum.html. This
                > is an application
                > > of the WBS in a product backlog with the purpose
                > of providing a
                > > vehicle for executive reporting. There is a pdf
                > and an excel
                > > spreadhseet that has been extended. See if this
                > addresses some of
                > > you thoughts.
                > >
                > > Brent Barton

                Yahoo! Groups Links