Scaling Scrum

  • Hagemann Tim (extern) Com MD PD SWC 22 K
    Message 1 of 80 , Jan 24, 2005
      Nachricht
      Hi there,

      we are currently investigating how to move to an agile approach for our software development. Unfortunately our development group is really great, so that we have to meet some concerns about scaling scrum.

      I have got a few questions for the community here - I did not find the answers in the already discussed entries or in the net....it is all concerning Scrum of Scrums:

      I understand how to scale a scrum team by taking some people out of the different teams and putting them into a upper layer scrum.

      But what about this:

      product backlog: is there a product backlog for each scrum? Are the items on the top level product backlog decomposed into a top level sprint backlog, which then becomes part of the product backlogs for the next layers of scrums? (see http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum/scrumteam.php)

      commitment: In the sprint planning meeting, a commitment has to be given from the team to the customer. When a scrum of scrum is established, how can a commitment be given in the top level scrum? All other team members would have to commit too... But this is a time boxed discussion, and not every team member of every scrum can participate here.
      So how can we time box the discussion in a top level scrum when the commitment has to be done in the leaf scrums?

      customer support: imagine a huge system, which is decomposed by subsystems (vertically). Each subsystem is done by one scrum team, tied together in a scrum of scrums. At which of the sprint meetings will "the customer" attend? Imagine having more than one scrum layer... Who is the customer in the lower level scrums?

      There are just some more questions, but these are the most important ones....

      One more: Has somebody practical experience in scaling scrum...?

      Thanks in advance,

      Tim.

      ---------------------------------------

      Tim Hagemann

      Siemens AG

      phone      0049 (2842) 95 - 8746
      mobile     0049 (170)  815 8294

      mail        Tim.Hagemann.ext@...

    • kschwaber
      Message 80 of 80 , Oct 30, 2014

        Jeff Sutherland and I are concerned. Many organizations are now trying to scale Scrum to larger projects and to entire organizational units, reaping the benefits they have seen in smaller Scrum initiatives.

        Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of guidance on how to do this. This has given rise to IBM's methodological response to DevOps, and to commercial one-size-fits all methodologies like SAFe and DAD.

        To read more about how we intend to fill this need in a manner consonant with the Agile Manifesto and the principles of Scrum, I refer you to a blog I wrote at Scaling Scrum.