RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: design practices

  • Kristan Vingrys
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2005
      I think you missed one important point about the assumption of Agile and priority, "The user might want the system before it is finished". In this case it would still be worthwhile prioritising the features to be implemented and working to that priority so if the user does come back before the system is finished they can make up there mind taking it as is knowing that the highest priority features have been implemented.

      With emergent design my understanding is that you should not make assumptions about features that maybe needed and design to those. In the case you are describing you know what features are required, therefore they should be considered in your design. In my opinion Agile practices do not discourage upfront design, they discourage making up features (but in the future they may want to ....).

      Regards,

      Kristan
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 5, 2005
        The key sentence is that all the functionality *may* be needed. I've
        seen plenty of features that were never used, but they simply *had* to
        be there. Often, there's no one who can tell you why a feature is
        needed, or why it was put there in the first place.

        I would start with the highest priority features first. At some point,
        the customer may decide that there's enough functionality to deploy
        into production. Worst case scenario, you rebuild all the features,
        which is basically were you might end up if you used a waterfall
        approach.

        Good case scenario, your customer decides that they can live with a
        subset of the features, and the system gets deployed into production
        eariler. You gain important feedback as you continue developing the
        remaining requested features.

        Best case scenario, the customer decides they *don't* need the
        remaining feqatures, but would rather you work on some *new* feature
        that will benefit the business. If you had taken the waterfall
        approach, your answer may be, "Sorry, we can't do that. We're 12
        months into a 18 month rewrite, and all we have is a bunch of design
        documents. We have to code and test the system first before we can
        begin to worry about changes." :-)

        Mark

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Joel" <jadams@d...> wrote:

> [...]
        > serveral
        > > years) or I would like to know how agile methologies work better
        in
        > > not-so-emergent system development.
        > >
        > > The scope of the system is rather board, thus I believe it would
        > take
        > > quite a number of iterations before its functionalities can
        compare
        > > with the existing system.
        > >
        > > I am wondering, with such a large system. How infrastruture and
        > > software design is done in Scrum, while not falling into the BDUF
        > > problem? Suppose it's a 4-week iteration. Would 'design' and
        > > 'architecutral' work takes up more time in the first few
        iterations
        > > than the later iterations, as it gets sufficiently-built for most
        > > services on top of it?
        > >
        > > Is there any references on recommended design practices in Scrum?

      • woynam
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 5, 2005
          'Just a little background on my experience with rewrites.

          I've been at my current position for 7+ years, and joined the company
          to work on a rewrite of our mainframe-based trading system that
          supported our open-outcry trading model.

          Less than a year into the project, the threat of fully electronic,
          screen-based trading became a reality with the announcement of the
          first new options exchange in 25 years, the ISE. We were soon directed
          to change gears and build a screen-based system.

          Shortly after completing and deploying version 1.0 of the system, the
          trading of single stock futures was authorized, and the fear was that
          a futures exchange could steal a lot of our business. Thus, we began
          developing a screen-based futures trading engine as part of a joint
          venture with 2 other exchanges. This new system was built using 90% of
          the major components of the new system.

          Shortly after completing and deploying the 2nd version of the system,
          the business decided that a hybrid trading model, combining the best
          of open-outcry and screen-based trading, would allow us to better
          compete with the fully electronic markets. Thus, we began working on a
          hybrid trading system that utilizes elements of the mainframe system,
          and well as our new trading platform. We deployed this version over a
          year ago.

          In a nutshell, the mainframe system is still there, and is used for a
          number of products that continue to trade open-outcry, as well as
          being part of the hybrid trading system. Had we focused exclusively on
          replicating the functionality of the original system, we would have
          built the wrong system, as the business did not stand still in the
          face of tough competition. Not only we some features not needed, they
          were completely eliminated with the new business model.

          By iteratively developing and deploying the system, we were able to
          deal with the unexpected course corrections that came our way.

          This is the ultimate value of agility.

          Mark

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@c...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > serveral
          > > > years) or I would like to know how agile methologies work better
          > in
          > > > not-so-emergent system development.
          > > >
          > > > The scope of the system is rather board, thus I believe it would
          > > take
          > > > quite a number of iterations before its functionalities can
          > compare
          > > > with the existing system.
          > > >
          > > > I am wondering, with such a large system. How infrastruture and
          > > > software design is done in Scrum, while not falling into the BDUF
          > > > problem? Suppose it's a 4-week iteration. Would 'design' and
          > > > 'architecutral' work takes up more time in the first few
          > iterations
          > > > than the later iterations, as it gets sufficiently-built for most
          > > > services on top of it?
          > > >
          > > > Is there any references on recommended design practices in Scrum?

        • Steven Gordon
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 5, 2005
            Emergent design has other benefits over up-front design besides being able to handle changing/uncertain/emergent requirements:

            1. Emergent designs force the code to be easily changable, whereas top-down holistic design can easily create code that is monolithically dependent on the current design. Even if requirements never changed, implementing the system a few requirements at a time results in a system that will be battle tested at being able to accommodate additional requirements after deployment.

            2. Developers can learn something from the design and implementation of a few requirements that will improve the design and implementation of the remaining requirements, whereas if we design the whole thing before implementing any of it, we get no feedback on whether the overall design strategy is a good one.

            3. We can better estimate how long it will take to complete the project from the first month of design and implementation of a few requirements from beginning to end than from just a month of pure design.

            Steven Gordon

            http://sf.asu.edu/

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Joel" <jadams@d...> wrote:
            > Another assumption we frequently make is that design should be
            > emergent. Writing code only for the current function is a good
            thing
            > because re-writing isn't expensive compared to adding complexity
            and
            > functionality that is never needed. But in the case where all
            > functionality has equal priority, and the system cannot be released
            > until all of the functionality is included, isn't this an
            inefficient
            > approach?
            > My guess is that this project would benefit from more up-front
            design
            > than a new development project. And I think that I would be asking
            > the team where else they can find efficiencies given the somewhat
            > unique situation.
          • todd
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 5, 2005
              Steven Gordon wrote:

              > Emergent design has other benefits over up-front design besides being
              > able to handle changing/uncertain/emergent requirements:
              >
              > 1. Emergent designs force the code to be easily changable, whereas
              > top-down holistic design can easily create code that is monolithically
              > dependent on the current design. Even if requirements never changed,
              > implementing the system a few requirements at a time results in a
              > system that will be battle tested at being able to accommodate
              > additional requirements after deployment.

              This is a bit of FUD. There's nothing in top down design that makes it
              any more monolithic or dependent or less changeable than any other
              design approach. If you know how to design your code to be testable and
              changeable then it will be. And it can be far easier to add in new
              requirements, depending on the nature of the new requirements. If people
              add useless over complicated code that doesn't work then that's there
              own issue, it's not required by any design methodology that i know of.
              Nor will any design methodology prevent someone from doing stupid stuff.
            • Steven Gordon
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 5, 2005
                The argument that if you know what you are doing, you can create a perfectly good software using any methodology (or even no methodology) defeats anything we say here. Given the current state of software today, this is not a very realistic or productive argument.

                It is common sense that a design that has had new requirements added to it dozens of times in a principled way can be more trusted to be able to accommodate new requirements of similar kinds than a design that has never had any new requirements added to it.

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 5, 2005
                  Steven Gordon wrote:

                  > The argument that if you know what you are doing, you can create a
                  > perfectly good software using any methodology (or even no methodology)
                  > defeats anything we say here.

                  It's productive and realistic because you can't overcome this lack by
                  adding a methodology. So dinging one methodology in favor another isn't
                  fair, imho.

                  > It is common sense that a design that has had new requirements added
                  > to it dozens of times in a principled way can be more trusted to be
                  > able to accommodate new requirements of similar kinds than a design
                  > that has never had any new requirements added to it.

                  The use of the word "principled" defeats anything we say here. Given