Project Backlog Retrofit

  • the_heidster
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
      Hi Everyone,
      I am new to the group and to Scrum. I have read most of Ken's 2 books
      and other Agile principals and have had the intellectual epiphany and
      have actually gotten the go ahead to use Scrum on a project we are in
      the middle of. I'm the business analyst and have had direct contact
      with the customer for several months now, documenting, in great
      detail, a large, complex project. We have a dev team of 8 talented
      people who have been coding for 2.5 months with no production level
      code yet ready. We're knee deep in bugs with no foreseeable end. So I
      proposed Scrum and it was agreed to. Now I am tasked with the initial
      product backlog and giving an estimate of how long we think the
      project is going to take (in addition to conveying the Scrum
      principals which are being absorbed by the team with vigor). My
      question is, at what level do I define the product backlog? I have
      knowledge of the req'mnts down to the smallest minutia and really
      need the big picture estimate. Would any of you experienced
      ScrumMasters be able to help me out with some guidance? Management is
      expecting an answer on Monday as to where the project is now and how
      long is left. At least they now understand that this will be an
      estimate, really. Thanks for any help you could give.
    • Mike Dwyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
        Great!
        Remember though that the business owner is the boss and should rank the
        functions ( an interesting term ) deemed most important. I would suggest
        that you rank as many as you can. BUT try not to have more than 50% of them
        #1.

        Actually, make up a set of cards that are numbered. Put one business
        function on each card.

        Then have the team sit and do a meeting with the owner - they decide what
        goes into the sprint.

        Sounds simple and it is because when you vary from this it gets real hard -
        real fast.

        Michael F. Dwyer

        Mike.Dwyer1@...

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Mike Cohn
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
          Hi--
          There's no definitive answer. You want to define the backlog items you'll do
          soon in more detail than ones you won't do for awhile. My general guideline
          is that I want to pull in about 1-2 items per person per sprint. (I know
          that a person doesn't become dedicated to a task but this helps size the
          backlog.) So, a 6 person team would bring in 6-12 items. Pick where you want
          to be on that end of it based on whether you're doing 2 or 4-week sprints.

          If you want to capture more detail, try capturing it in the form of test
          specs as in "This backlog item will be done when the following are true..."
          Ideally you can capture those in something like FitNesse that you can later
          make executable.

          I hate to steer you to a book for great answers but...My "User Stories
          Applied" book is largely about exactly the question you are answering. It
          describes user stories as a general agile requirements technique but also
          includes one chapter specifically on using stories as the product backlog
          for Scrum.

          Good luck,

          --Mike Cohn
          www.mountaingoatsoftware.com
          www.userstories.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005
            Hi Mike,

            Thanks so much for your response. I had actually downloaded the
            excerpt from your book, Ch 2 Writing Stories and it was very
            helpful. But I did realize that it is for writing stories for the
            actual Sprint, while I am at a higher lever. I will get the book for
            some guidance on writing product backlog. What I came to last night
            is that I need not go into a lot of detail for things that are
            almost done (gosh, I hate using that term now -- but we've been
            coding for 2 months and a lot of detail is known in some areas) and
            for the things that are not done I will take your approach. OK, off
            to Amazon :-)

            Thanks again,
            Heidi Bush