Type C or Continuous Scrum [was: Re: Multi-Project Development with Limited Resources]

  • Paul Hodgetts
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2004
      Jeff Sutherland wrote:

      > At PatientKeeper we have solved the problem of multiple projects
      > pipelined through the same team (or set of teams) and have been
      > running what I call a Type C Scrum or Continuous Scrum for over four
      > years.
      > [...]
      > A more lengthy discussion is beyond the scope of a short note.
      > However, I need to write up a paper on this so if you send me a list
      > of questions that could help generate an outline, it might motivate
      > me to put pen to paper.

      I'm really interested to read more about a "Type C Scrum," so
      here's some input in a hope to generate that motivation. ;-)

      I really don't quite understand what a "Continuous Scrum" is, so
      some of my questions may seem out in left field (but perhaps that
      would indicate to you something you could write about as well.)

      I *think* I understand what a Type A and Type B Scrum is, but a
      comparison of the three would be useful.

      I've seen the diagrams of Type A, B and C Scrums. The Type C
      diagram has a shape that indicates not only overlap of multiple
      Sprints, but it seems to have more activity in the beginning
      than the end. What is that about?

      What makes a Continuous Scrum "continuous?" Does it not have a
      defined start and end? What does an iteration look like? How
      does that effect the classic Sprint start and end activities?

      Can we do a Continuous Scrum with one product? What would it
      look like compared to the classical definition of Scrum?

      With multiple products, does it mean that for any given product,
      a releasable increment can pop out at point that is perhaps not
      synchronized with the other products?

      It's hard to generate more questions when I'm so unclear as to
      the basics of a Continuous Scrum...

      Happy Holidays,
      Paul
      -----
      Paul Hodgetts -- CEO, Principal Consultant
      Agile Logic -- www.agilelogic.com
      Consulting, Coaching, Training -- On-Site & Out-Sourced Development
      Agile Processes/Scrum/Lean/XP -- Java/J2EE, C++, OOA/D, UI/IA, XML

      Upcoming Events:

      "Scrum"
      XP San Diego User Group - Thursday, January 6, 2005
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xpsandiego/

      "Can RUP Be Agile? Can RUP Be Extreme?"
      Orange County Rational Users Group - Thursday, January 20, 2005
      http://www.rational-ug.org/groups.php?groupid=9

      Certified ScrumMaster Training, San Diego, CA - February 7-8, 2005
      http://www.controlchaos.com/certification/