Re: User Experience Research

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2004
      That's my take on it too: this is a Customer role. And Scrum does not
      address how the Customer comes up with their feature requests that
      feed the backlog.

      > Traditionally, much of this work is done as part of collecting the
      > marketing requirements, and fed into the User Experience Design and
      > then UI development.

      My guess is that some of the activities you mention are the Customer
      working out what the business needs. In Agile, one would not want
      this to get too detailed - as Mike points out, the team benefits from
      working on the details together with this person, inside the Sprint.
      Better results come from focusing on specific features while actually
      building them.

      But some of this person's work is needed in order to identify what
      should BE in the Sprint... so I'd think there is some "before" and
      some "during" Sprint work in what you describe.

      deb

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@e...>
      wrote:

      > Tobias,
      >
      > In my view the User Group is the Customer, and in the best possible
      > arrangement they are "pigs" i.e. they are involved day-2-day and
      they look
      > at the integration server at least through a Daily Build; or in the
      worse
      > case scenario they are involved in the Scrum Planning Meetings,
      > Re-prioritization Meetings (through the Sprint) and the Scrum Review
      > Meetings (Demo!).
      >
      > In terms of requirements definition, Scrum uses a "telescoping
      requirements
      > definition" process that more granularly defines requirements as the
      > requirements are closer to be implemented.
      >
      > So, from the Agile or Scrum perspective, there is nothing wrong into
      > defining Backlog Items, to some granularity, and putting them in a
      > prioritized way into the Product Backlog and then expanding those
      > requirements into the Sprint Backlog when they are selected for a
      Sprint,
      > and then again expanding the understanding of these requirements
      while they
      > are implemented during a Sprint i.e. through Unit Tests, Customer
      > Interaction, Implemented Functionality, Frequent Integration, etc.
      >
      > In Scrum the requirements continue to freeze as the functionality
      gets
      > implemented with a last "phase transition" as the requirements are
      delivered
      > into production,
      >
      > - Mike

      UI