RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Quiet working conditions VS Common room

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 17, 2004
      My take is, as always, keep a balance, between isolation and constant
      communication with the group.

      Prolonged time in isolation, i.e. with no "real contact" with people,
      generally pulls people apart. On the other hand, too much interaction in
      the BullPen can be distracting.

      We have had as many as 10 people in the room at any one time, with 1 or 2
      people over time, "listening to music" on and off, but when it is time for
      everyone to get involved, we ask people to re-join the group. Also, on
      personal calls to cell phones or longish "interesting but not-work-related"
      conversations, most people leave the BullPen.

      On the other hand, if there is a spontaneous collaboration conceived, we
      typically have it done at the BullPen, with the option to go to a couple of
      little conference rooms close by. These rooms have conference phones that
      are also used to call remote developers or customers.

      - Mike