Scrum practices precedence

  • gustavogrillo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2013
      Hi,
      I am trying to draw a "scrum practices precedence map" for my team in order to build a roadmap for scrum adoption.
      I want to do this to determine a clear path (Khan Academy-style) showing where should I begin and what 'basic' practices my team should master before they adopt 'intermediate' or 'advanced' ones.
      Anyone has experience, or ideas about his?
    • Alan Dayley
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2013
        I would be leery of such a map. Mine would have four steps:

        1. Understand the Scrum roles, ceremonies (meetings) and artifacts and how they flow in time.
        2. Use the framework as learned in step 1.
        3. Where are we having difficulty? Is there a practice that helps remove that difficulty? Yes? Start doing that practice. No? Invent a practice.
        4. Repeat at step 2.

        Scrum and Agile practices are not usually like learning math. There is not a predefined route through different practices. Each team's need and motivation to take on a new practice is different and not predictable.

        Building such a map with the help of the team would be valuable because you would learn a great deal about yourselves as a team in the process. Hmm... That is an interesting idea, actually. Just expect the map to change at every retrospective.

        Thanks for the thought exercise!

        Alan

        On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM, <gustavogrillo@...> wrote:

        Hi,
        I am trying to draw a "scrum practices precedence map" for my team in order to build a roadmap for scrum adoption.
        I want to do this to determine a clear path (Khan Academy-style) showing where should I begin and what 'basic' practices my team should master before they adopt 'intermediate' or 'advanced' ones.
        Anyone has experience, or ideas about his?

      • Ali H. Moghadam
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2013
          Hi
          The most important thing to consider before starting Scrum, is a shared sense of necessity among all levels of your organisation, to improve the process. Define what problem(s) you are trying to solve. This includes both managers and developers, and every other player of your game.

          Then you do need a suitable project, and a suitable team! Not Scrum is good for every project, and not every group of people are a team. If you have a complex project to do, and an expert team (which you can trust) to work with, then go to the next step.

          Now you need to define who is who. Consider scrum roles, and map them to your people. Probably they will need some learning to adapt with their new roles. The most important role is the Product Owner i think. If you have not a good product owner, you will not deliver any value.

          Then you could start running scrum events: planning (and creating the very first version of backlog), sprint, daily scrums, demo and delivering the increment, and retrospective. They are *all* necessary and vital, specially the retrospectives i think. Retro is the place where your team can evaluate themselves and decide about the next steps to improve the process and look for any advanced practices.

          Thats all :)

          -Alix