Re: [scrumdevelopment] Daily standup in a multi-project team

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 2013
      I like walking the items. That's the way they do it in Kanban, and even though some Scrum purists object the only thing you need to add to make it compatible is to be sure that everyone speaks.

       If you get through all the items and someone has been silent the whole time just ask them what they're working on and if they have any blockers. Might also be a good idea to create a card for whatever it is.

      I'm less of a fan of the after party. As a coach I work really hard to make sure conversations are happening just in time. If there is a designated time for them people will wait until the next meeting to discuss something which could be a whole day of wasted opportunity.

      On Monday, September 16, 2013, Greg Lucas-Smith wrote:

      We saw this problem, for us it occurred when the developers needed to give technical updates and the testers couldn't understand (or weren't interested!).

      We resolved it in two steps:

      * We changed the team to use the "Walk the items" pattern from Charles' site (http://www.scrumcrazy.com/Daily+Scrum+Patterns+Summary).  Using this, only people that were involved with a task were allowed to speak on a task.  This provided the focus that was missing and uncovered a tendency for the status updates to turn into long winded discussions.
      * We implemented a formal "After Party" (also from Charles patterns site) that gave the developers the discussions that they needed at the right time.

      It's interesting that you have a lot of subgroup collaboration going on, have you considered splitting into smaller, project focused teams?  At the moment we are experimenting with having a team of only two developers and it seems to be working quite well.  The standups are short, sharp and focused.  The Scrum meetings are held around the board and are also shorter and sharper.  There's very little cost (except maybe wall space?) and the speed of the ceremonies has allowed us to move the team to weekly sprints.

      Greg

      On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM, David Doyle <david@...> wrote:

      Are there any suggestions/recommendations for the daily standup where team members are not all working on the same project?

      The standup tends to focus on individual status and due to team members working on different projects we don't seem to be getting as much value as we would if we were all working on a single project. Rather than scrap the standup as providing little value we'd like to consider other approaches that teams similar to us might be using.

      Context: We are using a kanban approach rather than scrum. The team members are a mix of developers, business analysts and a QA lead who are focused on a large enterprise application (8 people plus a manager). Our work is spilt between production support, smaller projects just for our application and larger enterprise projects where we are developing the part of the solution that impacts our application and needs to integrate with other applications. The timelines for this work overlaps, is aligned to corporate dates for design, development, QA and release; and is driven by business and external factors (so not too many opportunities to line work up in a serial fashion). There is a lot of 'subgroup' collaboration going on between the team members who are on the same project. In our retrospective the topic of the value of the standup has arisen - team members find it useful for information exchange, but individual team members tune out when the person talking is discussing a project the listener is not involved with.