Re: [scrumdevelopment] Concept of "work ahead" team

  • Cass Dalton
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013

      I still feel that this makes the dev team lose out on some of that good conversation.  Understanding what makes a story "better" gives the dev team valuable context for that story

      On Sep 3, 2013 9:52 AM, "Alix Moghdam" <ali.moghadam@...> wrote:

      It seems that this team is helping the PO to create a better backlog. If so, I think it does not harm. But they should remain at the PO fields and boundaries: Defining Stories from business point of view and prioritizing them. And the PO should still be responsible about the final decisions. This team just helps him/her.
      If this team falls into technical fields, then it could be an anti-pattern. They should not decide about implementation, design, and other development-related topics.

      @Alix

      On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Richard Griffiths <richard@...> wrote:

      Michael, Srinivas, Madhur

      Thanks for the responses (condensed for brevity)

      > When you refer to the "chosen few" I'm curious who is doing that choosing.

      Actually the sub team has formed from within the team - PO, BA and architect, they very much look at up-coming stories to get them in some form of shape for the whole team to review them at story sizing/grooming sessions.

      > A sub-team (of a chosen few) which regularly does this tends to form a unspoken (maybe even spoken) hierarchy which is best avoided.

      We do have some time-zone issues and not everyone is able to meet to plan for the future and groom the backlog on a daily basis; this way we get team input, and as noted, we do rotate people in and out, but it seems to be working.

      We have planned grooming sessions (one per week) where everyone attends and we refine and size as appropriate

      I was more concerned that there was an expectation that the sub-team/work ahead group would estimate the stories.

      My answer was, fine, as long as they, and they only, are happy to take on the work J

      Richard

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
        Adam,

        On 9/3/13 8:54 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:

        > My interpretation of three amigos is that it does not preclude whole
        > team participation but describes the three viewpoints required to have a
        > quorum on any story. On a high functioning team anyone should be able to
        > represent any of the three. So, you need a pair to have the conversation
        > and the customer/PO to make the final call.

        Yes, it's viewpoints, not job roles, that count. At a minimum,
        - someone to keep an eye on the business desires
        - someone to keep an eye on implementation issues
        - someone to keep an eye on edge cases and what might go wrong.
        I've found it better if these viewpoints are embodied in three separate
        people in the discussion. Often one person CAN hold these three
        viewpoints, but it's hard to do so simultaneously. And I caution people
        that there may be other important viewpoints. Some common examples:
        - someone to keep an eye on UX issues
        - someone to keep an eye on security issues
        - someone to keep an eye on specialized business desires that are
        separate from user needs, such as accounting or legal

        - George