Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: [Scrum] Code scrum - development team size

  • Silvana Wasitova
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
      Hi George,

      --
      Silvana Wasitova |  wasitova@... | Lausanne, Switzerland

      From: George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:57 PM
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: [Scrum] Code scrum - development team size

      Hi, Jeff,

      On 8/18/13 11:29 AM, Jeff Sutherland wrote:

      > Everything in Scrum was based on rigorous evidence, testing and
      > validation, before it was release to the public in 1995.
      >
      > Team size data showed that for hundreds of teams doing the same size
      > project that takes 11 months for team of six, will take 17 months for a
      > team of 10. These data were published by one of the top two productivity
      > experts in the U.S.. We listened when we put together Scrum and verified
      > this effect.

      Can you give me a pointer to this data? I'm curious about the
      variability in duration for a nominal 11 month project. And also how
      they validate the "same sizeness" of the projects, and the contextual
      differences between the various teams.

      - George

      > The reasons for this are documented in Fred Brooks classic, "The
      > Mythical Man Month."
      >
      > We have seen a team of 9 going at 60 points broken into two teams of 4
      > and 5 generating 180 points a few sprints later.
      >
      > It is absolutely impossible to get a team of 13 to a hyperproductive
      > state that generates 15 function points per developer per month, about 8
      > times the velocity of an average waterfall team. I'm ready to back up
      > this statement with a case of good champagne for anyone who can prove me
      > wrong.
      >
      > Jeff Sutherland
      > Co-Creator of Scrum

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
        Hi, Silvana,

        On 8/21/13 11:14 AM, Silvana Wasitova wrote:

        > Hi George,
        >
        > One reference re. team size of 7:
        > http://www.sheilamargolis.com/2011/01/24/what-is-the-optimal-group-size-for-decision-making/

        Not much data there. I guess I'll have to dig up Hackman and Vidmar
        (1970) to find the data. It's clear that you shouldn't marry a woman
        under 25, though. (http://www.intuitor.com/statistics/SmallGroups.html)
        Or use "majority rules" in groups with an even number of members.

        Nothing there that supports "Team size data showed that for hundreds of
        teams doing the same size project that takes 11 months for team of six,
        will take 17 months for a team of 10." I like small teams, but I'm not
        so happy with data presented as scientifically proven without any
        experimental basis.

        Interesting statement: "So if you’re looking for the best size for a
        team, consider an odd number close to five. But remember the number is
        just one factor. Social sensitivity and being able to read emotions are
        attributes of successful team decision making. Consider the number and
        consider the members."

        - George