Re: [Scrum] Core Scrum - development team size - ( Was - Code scrum - development team size)

  • Ram Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2013
      Thanks John, I get that. I was at a class today when one of the students asked and compared Scrum Guide and Core Scrum. That is when I realized that I was not able to find 6+/-3 or 7+/-2 in Core Scrum (or may be I missed it?). I do know that Scrum Guide recommends a specific team size.

      On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM, John Miller <agileschools@...> wrote:
      Ram,

      From the updated Scrum Guide:
      "Fewer than three Development Team members
      decrease interaction and results in smaller productivity gains. Smaller Development Teams may
      encounter skill constraints during the Sprint, causing the Development Team to be unable to
      deliver a potentially releasable Increment. Having more than nine members requires too much
      coordination. Large Development Teams generate too much complexity for an empirical process
      to manage. The Product Owner and Scrum Master roles are not included in this count unless
      they are also executing the work ofthe Sprint Backlog."

      Thanks,
      John Miller

      On Aug 14, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...> wrote:

      Apologies - subject line should read "Core Scrum - development team size"

      On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...> wrote:
      I am looking at core scrum, http://agileatlas.org/images/uploads/corescrum.pdf

      I see that it does not mention the size of the development team. Or did I miss it? Or is it intentionally not mentioned?

      I do see that MJ has an article http://agileatlas.org/articles/item/scrum-reference-card which mentions 7+-2.

      Ram

    • Glenn
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2013
        Interesting. I often look to the the Jeff and Ken guide for the official definition of Scrum. I find it very odd that the Scrum Alliance doesn't have an official (that I'm aware of) definition and they are the certifying body. A dichotomy in my mind.

        While I don't particullarily care about the "official" rules it would be nice to know what the Scrum Alliance's guide is to at least base some discussions around.

        On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 21:03:40 UTC-4, John Miller - Agile Schools wrote:
        I always go by the Scrum Guide for the "official rules".
        Agile Atlas is great, but, there is only one Scrum, and that is, currently, defined by Jeff and Ken.
      • Cass Dalton