Re: Product Owner is a pig, right?

  • scrumnoob
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2013
      I agree, and can only think they have latched onto, or misinterpreted something that has been said, I dont believe they would have been coached/trained this way.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Kriegisch <Kriegisch@...> wrote:

      > If the coach is worth anything, the team cannot seriously think that the PO is a chicken, unless he behaves like one.
      >
      > Alexander Kriegisch
      > http://scrum-master.de
      >

      > Am 31.07.2013 um 16:05 schrieb "scrumnoob" <scrumnoob@...>:
      >
      > > Good question in terms of what else is going on.
      > >
      > > The only feedback they get is the training/coaching they have had tells them this.
      > >
      > > I struggle with this for 2 reasons:
      > >
      > > 1. The person who provided the feedback is well regarded (I wont state their name here) within the field
      > >
      > > 2. Regardless of what you are told you should be reading around the subject and open to challenge. AFAIK the Scrum framework tells you what the 3 roles are, thats the starting point for most other things.
      > >
      > > The coach is back with the team later this month so Mrs Noob hopes to bring up the subject then, as tactfully as she can.
      > >

      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Häusler <kurt.haeusler@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> It is a horrible thing, this pigs and chickens distinction, but POs
      > >> are definitely pigs.
      > >>
      > >> More importantly, what difference in this specific context would it make?
      > >>
      > >> Why do the team say with relish that she is a chicken? I think they
      > >> are wrong, but what situation made them want to say that? There could
      > >> be something between the lines that isn't quite right.

    • Richard Hundhausen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 31, 2013

        +1

        Pigs and chickens were dropped from the Scrum Guide two years ago.

        It is a horrible thing, this pigs and chickens distinction, but POs
        are definitely pigs.

        More importantly, what difference in this specific context would it make?

        Why do the team say with relish that she is a chicken? I think they
        are wrong, but what situation made them want to say that? There could
        be something between the lines that isn't quite right.

        On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM, scrumnoob <scrumnoob@...> wrote:

        > I have been out of development for 15 months or so but try to keep abreast of latest thinking and I still work in an organisation that uses Scrum. I am also a big advocate of the practice.
        >
        > However, my partner has started working as a Product Analyst at a start up. she takes on the role of the PO for the team.
        >
        > However the team say (with relish) that she is a chicken (this is probably a bit of a tired metaphor now I guess, but the principle sticks) and that in so far as the coaching they have recieved is concerned this is how it works.
        >
        > I am struggling with this, to the point where I want to visit their offices and have a chat with them. Has the world moved on from the PO being one of the three roles "in" the team? Does anyone else work this way, or can give me some valid rationale for working this way?
        >
        > Any feedback welcome, I would like to give my other half some more thoughts from the community to help her change things, or understand why it might be appropriate.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

      • ken
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 31, 2013
          Thank you! For any team that has nothing better to do than discuss animal metaphors, I'll offer this: The PO is the customer, you're the vendor, if you're not 'selling' what the customer wants then the customer will find another vendor.

          My perspective, it keeps me focused.

          Ken

          Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

          Pigs and chickens were dropped from the Scrum Guide two years ago.

          It is a horrible thing, this pigs and chickens distinction, but POs
          are definitely pigs.

          More importantly, what difference in this specific context would it make?

          Why do the team say with relish that she is a chicken? I think they
          are wrong, but what situation made them want to say that? There could
          be something between the lines that isn't quite right.

          On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM, scrumnoob <scrumnoob@...> wrote:

          > I have been out of development for 15 months or so but try to keep abreast of latest thinking and I still work in an organisation that uses Scrum. I am also a big advocate of the practice.
          >
          > However, my partner has started working as a Product Analyst at a start up. she takes on the role of the PO for the team.
          >
          > However the team say (with relish) that she is a chicken (this is probably a bit of a tired metaphor now I guess, but the principle sticks) and that in so far as the coaching they have recieved is concerned this is how it works.
          >
          > I am struggling with this, to the point where I want to visit their offices and have a chat with them. Has the world moved on from the PO being one of the three roles "in" the team? Does anyone else work this way, or can give me some valid rationale for working this way?
          >
          > Any feedback welcome, I would like to give my other half some more thoughts from the community to help her change things, or understand why it might be appropriate.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.

        • Peter Trudelle

            Pigs and chickens were dropped from the Scrum Guide two years ago.

            It is a horrible thing, this pigs and chickens distinction, but POs
            are definitely pigs.

            More importantly, what difference in this specific context would it make?

            Why do the team say with relish that she is a chicken? I think they
            are wrong, but what situation made them want to say that? There could
            be something between the lines that isn't quite right.

            On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM, scrumnoob <scrumnoob@...> wrote:

            > I have been out of development for 15 months or so but try to keep abreast of latest thinking and I still work in an organisation that uses Scrum. I am also a big advocate of the practice.
            >
            > However, my partner has started working as a Product Analyst at a start up. she takes on the role of the PO for the team.
            >
            > However the team say (with relish) that she is a chicken (this is probably a bit of a tired metaphor now I guess, but the principle sticks) and that in so far as the coaching they have recieved is concerned this is how it works.
            >
            > I am struggling with this, to the point where I want to visit their offices and have a chat with them. Has the world moved on from the PO being one of the three roles "in" the team? Does anyone else work this way, or can give me some valid rationale for working this way?
            >
            > Any feedback welcome, I would like to give my other half some more thoughts from the community to help her change things, or understand why it might be appropriate.
            >
            > Thanks in advance.

          • Joy Kelsey
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2013
              Did they get confused where the PO is a chicken at the Daily Scrum?? But a Pig in all other cases...in the past not the present

              --

              Regards
              Joy Kelsey

            • Adam Sroka

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2013

                    Hey now.

                    Stop dogging on the chickens and pigs.

                    Kidding.

                    Heh.

                    Just coming from a guy that has created some personas over the years for them with the comic strips at www.implementingscrum.com.

                    There are some good posts there about this topic. Remember. The Chicken and Pig story is just that. A story.

                    Everyone is a person and deserves respect.

                    The comics and blog postings may be almost classic scrum historic stuff but many of the things I wrote over the many many years there are still applicable today.

                    I may resurface some of the old strips into newer discussions. But it's scary how many of the postings and comic strips still ring true for people today.

                    Thank you.

                    Mike Vizdos
                    www.michaelvizdos.com/contact
                    Www.implementingscrum.com