GMAIL Email Hacked!

  • Michael Moles
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21, 2013
      Please do NOT open the previous email from me,, as my email was hacked with someone with an Pakistan IP address.

      Sorry for the problems,

      Mike Moles
    • Adam Sroka
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2013

        Although, if you break or lose your smart phone it is a pain in the ass to get back in.

        The other option is a strong password, at least 16+ chars alphanumeric or 11+ mixed case with at least one special character.

        You are unlikely to get hacked with either of those setups. Although the algorithms that are used to crack passwords get stronger and faster all the time.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2013
          Hi Adam,

          On Jul 21, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

          Although, if you break or lose your smart phone it is a pain in the ass to get back in.

          The other option is a strong password, at least 16+ chars alphanumeric or 11+ mixed case with at least one special character.

          You are unlikely to get hacked with either of those setups. Although the algorithms that are used to crack passwords get stronger and faster all the time.

          Do I correctly understand that I only have to do the two factor thing once per computer / device that I use for email?

          It does sound like losing your phone could be deadly. What do they do then?
          Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion.  -- Muhammad Ali

        • Adam Sroka
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2013
            They might have changed the rules since the last time I used it, but, as I recall, you can have it remember the current device for 30-days and then you only have to enter another number from the authenticator app if you use another device. However, after 30-days it will ask for one again even on the same device.

            When I was at Agile Games 2012 in Boston I dropped my phone on a cobblestone sidewalk and broke the screen (not just the glass, the actual display.) I couldn't find any way to get back in and eventually had to put in a support request with Google.

            What Google says to do is get the backup codes and write them down somewhere. That may be the way to go if you have a secure place to keep them. Hopefully broken or lost phones are a rare occurrence.