Agile Method Research Study

  • Diana Young
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 12, 2013
      Hello, everyone.  I am an Information Systems faculty member at the University of Texas at San Antonio. I am conducting a research study concerning the project and team factors that influence agile method fit and usability.

      I have developed an online survey instrument to gather information from project managers, developers, testers, and product owners who have participated in an agile or structured software development effort.  If you meet that criteria, I would be very grateful if you would take a few minutes to complete the survey.  It takes approximately 10 to 15 minutes to complete and is located at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SS2T9DN.

      The gathered responses will help identify factors that significantly impact the use of agile software development methods.  Your time and support are greatly appreciated.   If you have any questions or problems completing the survey, please contact me at Diana.young@....
    • Cass Dalton
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 29, 2013
        That's exactly the point.  Here, we are defining the end as the ACTUAL end when you stop charging your time.  When you think you're going to be done in 2 weeks (the estimate) but you don't finish for 2 months (the actual end), you obviously have some amount of uncertainty in your estimate even if you don't realize it.  That uncertainty is supposed to be reflected in the cone, but in practice, that cone doesn't taper; it is hangs around your estimates like a thundercloud until you stop charging your time to it.

        On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Yves Hanoulle <mailing@...> wrote:

        2013/7/22 Cass Dalton <cassdalton73@...>

        The high level concept that the cone portrays (estimation uncertainty is IN GENERAL higher the the farther away you are from the end) is true.

        well  you have to keep in mind that there is a BIG difference between being close to the end and thinking you are close to the end.

        However, the shape of the cone is based completely on someone's subjective theory, not on objective, empirical data.  That is the only real point that Laurent is trying to make.  He backs the argument up with intuition that 1) estimates in software development usually tend toward UNDER estimation, not OVER estimation, so the cone is not symmetrical as the original plot suggests, and that 2) the smooth tapering in the curve often doesn't happen as the last 90% of the work takes the last 40-50% of the time.

        Based on my experience in a traditional environment, I would say that the cone is rarely correct as presented in the plot.  Estimates are low at least 85% of the time, and the uncertainty often doesn't taper anything like how the plot suggests.  The times when estimates are high come from people who have been bitten by the always low estimates enough that the add in so much padding that their estimates are always unrealistically high.  And then you have the rule that the work will tend to fill the estimate, completely skewing any empirical evidence you think you have.  (The empirical evidence or lack thereof being the entire crux of Laurent's argument).

        On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

        Mark,

        On 7/22/13 12:46 PM, woynam wrote:

        > Sorry, but I'm not buying the plug. If it's wrong, please tell us why.

        You can read some of what Laurent says about it at
        https://plus.google.com/115091715679003832601/posts/FKLauKLZECm

        > I agree that it's probably not "scientific". As we've been
        > discussing, getting real numbers is tough in the SW field.
        >
        > Based on my experience, I'd say the cone is very close to correct,
        > given a fixed-sized starting backlog, which is almost a certainty in
        > a traditional contract-upfront project.

        Laurent questions that
        - the cone is presented a symetrical, with as much room for
        underestimating as overestimating, even though it's impossible to
        complete a project in negative time
        - that the cone seems to say that we necessarily get tighter estimates
        when we approach the end, though in reality some projects stay at "90%
        done" for a long time
        - that the cone is taken for empirical data, but is based on Boehm's
        subjective opinion

        - George

        --
        Want to speak at AgileDC October 8, 2013? http://agiledc.org/speak/