Re: [scrumdevelopment] Summation of user story points to epic level point estimation

  • Sekhar
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10 4:19 AM
      Madhur,

      Can you please give more insights on this estimation ?

      Thanks
      Sekhar

      On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Madhur Kathuria <madhur.kathuria@...> wrote:

      In the little experience that I have working with the teams for better estimations. Trying to use the same measure across different levels of always seems to create similar confusions

      What we have tried to do for some of our teams to have separate notion of relative estimations at Epic(epic points) and Story(story points) levels. This has helped the POs most as they can still track the progress and give a high level release plan without pushing the teams to estimate early or trying to superimpose estimations at higher level to better estimations done by team at story level

      Will be happy to share more information about this in the group in case it makes any sense to the team members on this list.

      With Regards,
      Madhur Kathuia, Certified Scrum Coach
      Chair, India Scrum Enthusiasts Community (ISEC)
      Founder, Agile Pune
      Skype: madhur.kathuria

      On 10 July 2013 10:24, poojawandile <poojawandile@...> wrote:

      HI,
      During one of our discussions, the point related to story point estimation at epic and user story level came up. During release planning, the product owner usually define Epics which are then further sliced into smaller user stories at the product backlog grooming meetings. The epics are normally large in size and estimated at 13 points and above and the stories are sliced such that each story is not more than 8 points. Each epic can have multiple user stories. The question is, is it necessary that the point estimation at the user story level should add up to epic point estimation? Or it is OK to have smaller variation in points at epic/story level?

      Regards,
      Pooja