Re: How to conduct Agile Performance Reviews?

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 2013
      If you have a subscription to ScrumLab, this can be found at:

      You can search scrum.jeffsutherland.com for a free version.

      --
      Jeff Sutherland, Ph.D.
      CEO, Scrum, Inc.

    • Michael James
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 10, 2013
        On Jul 10, 2013, at 6:37 PM, "poojawandile" <poojawandile@...> wrote:

        Getting rid of such individuals is a natural option but is not always possible.

        Perhaps firing them seems impossible now, but what about letting people choose who they will work with?

        --mj
        (Michael)

      • dutadoralin
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11, 2013
          Hi. First is Scrum inappropriate for DevOps and Software Maintenance. You should use Kanban instead. Kanban works the best with a physical taskboard as you can tailor it to fit 100% your process and needs. But you can use also an electronic one. JIRA+ Greenhopper works fine also in Kanban mode. With the other tooling I have no experience. Success! !!

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > For DevOps and Software maintainance, our inputs are generally (99%)
          > single issue tickets, and we would like to group them in "stories" so
          > that we can kind of plan it.
          >
          > At the moment, we use Jira+GreenHopper for that, but the critical size
          > has been reached where licencing cost matters.
          >
          > IceScrum, Pivotal Tracker and TinyPM... are more plannification oriented.
          >
          > Codendi seems okay, but have you any other alternative?
          >
          > --
          > RMA.

        • Peter Trudelle
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 12, 2013
            Not sure if this is what you meant, but it looks valuable:

            http://scrum.jeffsutherland.com/2006/11/agile-performance-reviews.html

            also:
            http://scrum.jeffsutherland.com/2010/11/performance-reviews-bogus-fraudulent.html

            One of the things I don't miss about being a manager are the annual ranking & rating (aka rank-out and berating) sessions universally associated with reviews.  Those make me physically ill.

            Peter
            -------------------
            Peter Trudelle
            831.566.6880
            http://about.me/peter_trudelle

            On Jul 6, 2013, at 5:07 AM, Jeff Sutherland <jeff.sutherland@...> wrote:

            If you have a subscription to ScrumLab, this can be found at:

            You can search scrum.jeffsutherland.com for a free version.

            --
            Jeff Sutherland, Ph.D.
            CEO, Scrum, Inc.

          • Alix Moghdam
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 13, 2013
              Hi
              Here, you may find a list of some free tools for managing Scrum teams:
              Alix

              On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM, <dutadoralin@...> wrote:

              Hi. First is Scrum inappropriate for DevOps and Software Maintenance. You should use Kanban instead. Kanban works the best with a physical taskboard as you can tailor it to fit 100% your process and needs. But you can use also an electronic one. JIRA+ Greenhopper works fine also in Kanban mode. With the other tooling I have no experience. Success! !!

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > For DevOps and Software maintainance, our inputs are generally (99%)
              > single issue tickets, and we would like to group them in "stories" so
              > that we can kind of plan it.
              >
              > At the moment, we use Jira+GreenHopper for that, but the critical size
              > has been reached where licencing cost matters.
              >
              > IceScrum, Pivotal Tracker and TinyPM... are more plannification oriented.
              >
              > Codendi seems okay, but have you any other alternative?
              >
              > --
              > RMA.

            • Michael James
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 16, 2013
                On Jul 13, 2013, at 12:12 PM, Peter Trudelle <trudelle@...> wrote:

                One of the things I don't miss about being a manager are the annual ranking & rating (aka rank-out and berating) sessions universally associated with reviews.  Those make me physically ill.

                Not the first time we've heard this complaint about performance appraisals from the people who are asked to do them.  If I were asked to stack rank subordinates I'm thinking I would just get everyone together and roll dice.  If performance appraisals are harmful (and evidence suggests they are) we shouldn't be trying to fix them, we should be trying to make them have as little effect as possible.  An openly random approach will just mitigate their harm, and hopefully accelerate their abolition.

                (That said, there may be probationary situations where they're appropriate, but that's the 3%, not the 97%.)

                --mj
                (Michael)

              • Jim Schiel
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 16, 2013
                  As a manager for 17 years, I've done my share of performance evals using multiple "systems."

                  WHAT A HIGE WASTE OF TIME!!!

                  In no case could I honestly tell you that any of the hundreds of reviews I've written actually been more than a waste of time for me and the employee.

                  I've been laboring with my customers to minimize or entirely stop these stupid things. Unfortunately, many large companies use this foolishness to drive or justify their compensation practices. Without them, promos and raises would actually be random and inconsistent instead of just seeming so...

                  Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                • Srinivas
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 16, 2013
                    If I were in the shoes of such a manager one possibility I'd consider, is to have every one line up for a lemon and spoon race. I wonder how long before we see such changes becoming the norm.

                    Cheers
                    Srinivas

                    Sent from my iPhoney