Ticketting-to-Scrum tool

  • Mihamina Rakotomandimby
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
      Hi all,

      For DevOps and Software maintainance, our inputs are generally (99%) single issue tickets, and we would like to group them in "stories" so that we can kind of plan it.

      At the moment, we use Jira+GreenHopper for that, but the critical size has been reached where licencing cost matters.

      IceScrum, Pivotal Tracker and TinyPM... are more plannification oriented.

      Codendi seems okay, but have you any other alternative?

      --
      RMA.
    • Agnihotri Amit
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 5, 2013
        Hi All,

        Could you share your thoughts on how to do Performance Review of an individual (Developer, Tester, Scrum Master, Product Owner) in Agile Development Organisation?

        Please share Samples of Performance Review Documents followed in your organisation, which have key metrics, skill matrix, goals, objectives, feedbacks, 360 degree reviews, etc.

        Regards,
        Amit Agnihotri

      • Jeff Sutherland
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 6, 2013
          If you have a subscription to ScrumLab, this can be found at:

          You can search scrum.jeffsutherland.com for a free version.

          --
          Jeff Sutherland, Ph.D.
          CEO, Scrum, Inc.

        • Wouter Lagerweij
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6, 2013
            Hi Amit,

            Individual review are usually discouraged.
            What is your situation? How did you find you need to change it? What work have you already done?

            Wouter

            On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Agnihotri Amit <agnihotri_amit2002@...> wrote:

            Hi All,

            Could you share your thoughts on how to do Performance Review of an individual (Developer, Tester, Scrum Master, Product Owner) in Agile Development Organisation?

            Please share Samples of Performance Review Documents followed in your organisation, which have key metrics, skill matrix, goals, objectives, feedbacks, 360 degree reviews, etc.

            Regards,
            Amit Agnihotri

            --
            Wouter Lagerweij         | wouter@...
          • poojawandile
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 10, 2013
              Though individual reviews are discouraged, we have found that under team awards some individuals who were not at par with their peers in terms of performance, also gets rewarded. In spite of multiple attempts by SM, some individuals just don't raise up to the occasion or not ready to walk that extra mile.Getting rid of such individuals is a natural option but is not always possible.

              regards,
              pooja

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@...> wrote:

              > Hi Amit,
              >
              > Individual review are usually discouraged.
              > What is your situation? How did you find you need to change it? What work
              > have you already done?
              >
              > Wouter
              >

              > On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Agnihotri Amit <agnihotri_amit2002@...
              > > wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hi All,
              > >
              > > Could you share your thoughts on how to do Performance Review of an
              > > individual (Developer, Tester, Scrum Master, Product Owner) in Agile
              > > Development Organisation?
              > >
              > > Please share Samples of Performance Review Documents followed in your
              > > organisation, which have key metrics, skill matrix, goals, objectives,
              > > feedbacks, 360 degree reviews, etc.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Amit Agnihotri
              > >

              > --
              > Wouter Lagerweij | wouter@...
              > http://www.lagerweij.com | @wouterla <http://twitter.com/#!/wouterla>

            • Ashish Mahajan
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 10, 2013
                An employee will see no value in teamwork if the organization doesn't change its methods of assessment. The role of HR becomes highly important in changing the structure of performance management and supporting the management team in implementing those changes. Some of the key differences that can be put into place:

                Stress the importance of teamwork in the performance management system, to boost and sustain self-organizing teams. The focus should be on recognizing and rewarding the whole team instead of the bright or "star" performer (who can be a team-killer).
                Help managers become more frequently involved with employees and participate in some of their work, such as the demos and retrospectives, to get to know how the teams are performing.
                Encourage managers to spend a fixed amount of time, once or twice every month, with each employee so they can engage in ongoing, constructive conversations to promote excellence, instead of staging year-end surprises and shocks that leave no room for the employee to improve or take action.

                Regards
                Ashish
                From: "poojawandile" <poojawandile@...>
                Sender: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:37:32 -0000
                To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to conduct Agile Performance Reviews?

                Though individual reviews are discouraged, we have found that under team awards some individuals who were not at par with their peers in terms of performance, also gets rewarded. In spite of multiple attempts by SM, some individuals just don't raise up to the occasion or not ready to walk that extra mile.Getting rid of such individuals is a natural option but is not always possible.

                regards,
                pooja

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@...> wrote:

                > Hi Amit,
                >
                > Individual review are usually discouraged.
                > What is your situation? How did you find you need to change it? What work
                > have you already done?
                >
                > Wouter
                >

                > On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Agnihotri Amit <agnihotri_amit2002@...
                > > wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > Could you share your thoughts on how to do Performance Review of an
                > > individual (Developer, Tester, Scrum Master, Product Owner) in Agile
                > > Development Organisation?
                > >
                > > Please share Samples of Performance Review Documents followed in your
                > > organisation, which have key metrics, skill matrix, goals, objectives,
                > > feedbacks, 360 degree reviews, etc.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Amit Agnihotri
                > >

                > --
                > Wouter Lagerweij | wouter@...
                > http://www.lagerweij.com | @wouterla <http://twitter.com/#!/wouterla>

              • George Dinwiddie
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 10, 2013
                  Pooja,

                  On 7/10/13 6:37 AM, poojawandile wrote:

                  > Though individual reviews are discouraged, we have found that under
                  > team awards some individuals who were not at par with their peers in
                  > terms of performance, also gets rewarded. In spite of multiple
                  > attempts by SM, some individuals just don't raise up to the occasion
                  > or not ready to walk that extra mile.Getting rid of such individuals
                  > is a natural option but is not always possible.

                  If you've got an organizational constraint on adjusting the team
                  composition, I'm sure you've also other constraints. An open-ended
                  question about how to deal with a situation is too difficult to answer
                  without knowledge about those constraints.

                  Does your organization insist that all team members get rewarded at the
                  same level, or could the team decide how to apportion some part of the
                  reward?

                  Is it possible to change the organizational constraints? Martin Fowler's
                  advice comes to mind: "Either change your organization or change your
                  organization."

                  - George

                  > regards,
                  > pooja
                  >
                  > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi Amit,
                  >>
                  >> Individual review are usually discouraged.
                  >> What is your situation? How did you find you need to change it? What work
                  >> have you already done?
                  >>
                  >> Wouter
                  >>

                  >> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Agnihotri Amit <agnihotri_amit2002@...
                  >>> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> **
                  >>>

                  >>> Hi All,
                  >>>
                  >>> Could you share your thoughts on how to do Performance Review of an
                  >>> individual (Developer, Tester, Scrum Master, Product Owner) in Agile
                  >>> Development Organisation?
                  >>>
                  >>> Please share Samples of Performance Review Documents followed in your
                  >>> organisation, which have key metrics, skill matrix, goals, objectives,
                  >>> feedbacks, 360 degree reviews, etc.

                  --
                  Want to speak at AgileDC October 8, 2013? http://agiledc.org/speak/
                • Michael James
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 10, 2013
                    On Jul 10, 2013, at 6:37 PM, "poojawandile" <poojawandile@...> wrote:

                    Getting rid of such individuals is a natural option but is not always possible.

                    Perhaps firing them seems impossible now, but what about letting people choose who they will work with?

                    --mj
                    (Michael)

                  • dutadoralin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 11, 2013
                      Hi. First is Scrum inappropriate for DevOps and Software Maintenance. You should use Kanban instead. Kanban works the best with a physical taskboard as you can tailor it to fit 100% your process and needs. But you can use also an electronic one. JIRA+ Greenhopper works fine also in Kanban mode. With the other tooling I have no experience. Success! !!

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > For DevOps and Software maintainance, our inputs are generally (99%)
                      > single issue tickets, and we would like to group them in "stories" so
                      > that we can kind of plan it.
                      >
                      > At the moment, we use Jira+GreenHopper for that, but the critical size
                      > has been reached where licencing cost matters.
                      >
                      > IceScrum, Pivotal Tracker and TinyPM... are more plannification oriented.
                      >
                      > Codendi seems okay, but have you any other alternative?
                      >
                      > --
                      > RMA.

                    • Peter Trudelle
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 12, 2013
                        Not sure if this is what you meant, but it looks valuable:

                        http://scrum.jeffsutherland.com/2006/11/agile-performance-reviews.html

                        also:
                        http://scrum.jeffsutherland.com/2010/11/performance-reviews-bogus-fraudulent.html

                        One of the things I don't miss about being a manager are the annual ranking & rating (aka rank-out and berating) sessions universally associated with reviews.  Those make me physically ill.

                        Peter
                        -------------------
                        Peter Trudelle
                        831.566.6880
                        http://about.me/peter_trudelle

                        On Jul 6, 2013, at 5:07 AM, Jeff Sutherland <jeff.sutherland@...> wrote:

                        If you have a subscription to ScrumLab, this can be found at:

                        You can search scrum.jeffsutherland.com for a free version.

                        --
                        Jeff Sutherland, Ph.D.
                        CEO, Scrum, Inc.

                      • Alix Moghdam
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 13, 2013
                          Hi
                          Here, you may find a list of some free tools for managing Scrum teams:
                          Alix

                          On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM, <dutadoralin@...> wrote:

                          Hi. First is Scrum inappropriate for DevOps and Software Maintenance. You should use Kanban instead. Kanban works the best with a physical taskboard as you can tailor it to fit 100% your process and needs. But you can use also an electronic one. JIRA+ Greenhopper works fine also in Kanban mode. With the other tooling I have no experience. Success! !!

                          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > For DevOps and Software maintainance, our inputs are generally (99%)
                          > single issue tickets, and we would like to group them in "stories" so
                          > that we can kind of plan it.
                          >
                          > At the moment, we use Jira+GreenHopper for that, but the critical size
                          > has been reached where licencing cost matters.
                          >
                          > IceScrum, Pivotal Tracker and TinyPM... are more plannification oriented.
                          >
                          > Codendi seems okay, but have you any other alternative?
                          >
                          > --
                          > RMA.

                        • Michael James
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 16, 2013
                            On Jul 13, 2013, at 12:12 PM, Peter Trudelle <trudelle@...> wrote:

                            One of the things I don't miss about being a manager are the annual ranking & rating (aka rank-out and berating) sessions universally associated with reviews.  Those make me physically ill.

                            Not the first time we've heard this complaint about performance appraisals from the people who are asked to do them.  If I were asked to stack rank subordinates I'm thinking I would just get everyone together and roll dice.  If performance appraisals are harmful (and evidence suggests they are) we shouldn't be trying to fix them, we should be trying to make them have as little effect as possible.  An openly random approach will just mitigate their harm, and hopefully accelerate their abolition.

                            (That said, there may be probationary situations where they're appropriate, but that's the 3%, not the 97%.)

                            --mj
                            (Michael)

                          • Jim Schiel
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 16, 2013
                              As a manager for 17 years, I've done my share of performance evals using multiple "systems."

                              WHAT A HIGE WASTE OF TIME!!!

                              In no case could I honestly tell you that any of the hundreds of reviews I've written actually been more than a waste of time for me and the employee.

                              I've been laboring with my customers to minimize or entirely stop these stupid things. Unfortunately, many large companies use this foolishness to drive or justify their compensation practices. Without them, promos and raises would actually be random and inconsistent instead of just seeming so...

                              Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                            • Srinivas
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 16, 2013
                                If I were in the shoes of such a manager one possibility I'd consider, is to have every one line up for a lemon and spoon race. I wonder how long before we see such changes becoming the norm.

                                Cheers
                                Srinivas

                                Sent from my iPhoney