Re: [scrumdevelopment] Convince the team of writing unit tests even if you have got integration tests

  • Steve Crago
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24 12:44 PM
      I know this isn't politically correct.  However, I have used it and you'd be surprised at the reactions you get.

      Tell your developer's that if they do not want to have unit tests then they will have to pay $1,000.00 for every defect that results from the code they've tossed over the wall to the test team, regardless of the severity and regardless if it's caused by "old" or "legacy" code as they touched it and it now belongs to them.

      See how many takers you have … my team changed their minds real quick and started unit testing.

      Cheers,

      Steve

      On Jun 24, 2013, at 2:31 PM, Markus Gaertner <mgaertne@...> wrote:

      Hi Martin,

      if you happen to be able to argue based on logic, hand each of them a copy of Weinberg's Perfect Software... and other illusions about testing. Make sure to point them out especially to the Composition Fallacy:
      "Skipping unit testing as redundant because system testing will catch all the bugs." (this also applies to tests in folklore referred to as "integration tests" (on a side note: I hate that term, and we should get rid of it, but I don't have a better name to offer, unfortunately.)).

      If your developers no longer constrain their thinking by logic, then I would show them over a long period of time that writing unit tests helps me in the long run deal with those new requirements that come up every time. Simple work the way you are convinced, and show them in the long run that you can still deliver based on your unit tests. Stop arguing, start doing.

      Best
      Markus

      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM, <m.schneider@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      I'm working with a new team and try to convince the team members that it
      is important to write unit tests and have got covered at least methods
      which consist of logic. Also it is important (for me) to write unit
      tests for existing code if you touch it and it is not covered yet.
      Unfortunately some of the team members tell me that they do not want to
      write unit tests because we have got integration tests and those will
      test the correctness of the code and with that make unit tests
      unnecessary.

      What can I tell those guys why it is important to write unit tests even
      if you have got integration tests?

      Thanks,
      Martin

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
      Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development