Re: [scrumdevelopment] Controversial Dzone post - 7 Agile Best Practices that You Don’t Need to Follow

  • Pierre Neis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 17, 2013
      I don't understand the controversy?
      Different thinkers are welcome.

      In the meantime, if you measure what really happen in agile team...

      Kind regards, cordialement, mit freundlichen Grüssen,

      Pierre E. Neis, psm, cspo, csp
      Scrum/Lean Coach - Senior Management Consultant

      19 place Bleech |L-7610 Larochette | Luxembourg
      M: +352 661 727 867

      email:  pierre.neis@...
      web:    http://wecompany.wordpress.com/ http://thescrumcoach.wordpress.com/
      Meet with mehttp://meetwith.me/pierreneis

      about.me LinkedIn
      Contact me: Skype pierre.neis

      On 17 June 2013 19:46, Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and Coach <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      All my opinion:

      Typical project manager who has no idea of what he's talking about.  He's a nobody.  Consider your source.  I've been told by others that DZone is also a joke, but I have no direct knowledge of that.  (By the way, not all PM's are "know nothings", but there are definitely some out there who think that they know more than they do about technical subjects)

      This guy's articles are of the "shock jock" / argue against a straw man "type" that appear a lot in articles about Agile.  He's taking what appears to be(on the surface) a controversial stance to gain attention.

      There seems be a developing vocal minority of "Agile Haters" out there.  One might view this as a sign of success and/or progress for Agile.

      He now joins the same chorus with David Anderson. (or at least how David used to be -- haven't followed him much lately)

      Sadly, it seems that his shock jock tactics are working, because this is the 2nd time this link has been sent to me in a month.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      Professional Scrum Trainer
      Scrum Coach-in-Chief
      ScrumCrazy.com

      7 Agile Best Practices that You Don't Need to Follow
      * Test-Driven Development
      * Pair Programming
      * Emergent Design and Metaphor
      * Daily Standups
      * Collective Code Ownership
      * Writing All Requirements as Stories
      * Relying on a Product Owner

      The post made my blood boil and I just wanted to make the community aware of it. Dialogue is good but this kind if dis-information does it no service.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
        Hi Pierre,

        On Jun 17, 2013, at 3:47 PM, Pierre Neis <pierreneis@...> wrote:

        I don't understand the controversy?
        Different thinkers are welcome.

        As far as I can tell, if you don't test your code inside the Sprint, it will have defects in it. The defects will be discovered later, and you'll have to fix many of them. This will interfere with your planned level of new work, which means that your apparent ability to deliver done software overstates reality.

        This amounts to lying to yourself about how you're doing.

        There's no way out of that that I can see.

        Similarly with refactoring. If you don't improve the design as you go, you will slow down and increase defects, which will slow you down more until you crash and burn.

        Most of the technical practices are not optional if you actually plan to do Scrum. There may be new ways in the future, but just now, there are not.

        Ron Jeffries
        I'm really pissed off by what people are passing off as "agile" these days.
        You may have a red car, but that does not make it a Ferrari.
          -- Steve Hayes

      • Laurent Bossavit
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
          Hi Charles,

          > This guy's articles are of the "shock jock" / argue against a straw man "type" that appear a lot in articles about Agile. He's taking what appears to be(on the surface) a controversial stance to gain attention.

          Agreed, as far as this one article is concerned.

          The title is pure link-bait, and betrayed almost immediately in the first section which weasels around a lukewarm condemnation of TDD - "if you like it, do it" - as if this were a matter of fashion.

          The section on pair programming contains at least one blatant distortion:

          ..."one study (Vanhanen and Lassenius 2007) found that people only pair between 1.5 and 4 hours a day on average"...

          The paper actually says something else (that typical pairing sessions last 1.5-4h; that does not preclude multiple sessions in a day).

          The rest is of even lower caliber - at least the first two sections introduce some evidence, though quite selective; the remaining sessions come across as padding, being much shorter and no more substantial than a statement of the author's opinions and prejudices.

          Cheers,
          Laurent
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
            Well put, Laurent, agreed.  There are numerous other problems with the article, too -- I was just summarizing.  :-)

            Not worth my time to refute each idiotic statement he makes.

            -------
            Charles Bradley
            Professional Scrum Trainer
            Scrum Coach-in-Chief
            ScrumCrazy.com

            > This guy's articles are of the "shock jock" / argue against a straw man "type" that appear a lot in articles about Agile.  He's taking what appears to be(on the surface) a controversial stance to gain attention.

            Agreed, as far as this one article is concerned.

            The title is pure link-bait, and betrayed almost immediately in the first section which weasels around a lukewarm condemnation of TDD - "if you like it, do it" - as if this were a matter of fashion.

            The section on pair programming contains at least one blatant distortion:

              ..."one study (Vanhanen and Lassenius 2007) found that people only pair between 1.5 and 4 hours a day on average"...

            The paper actually says something else (that typical pairing sessions last 1.5-4h; that does not preclude multiple sessions in a day).

            The rest is of even lower caliber - at least the first two sections introduce some evidence, though quite selective; the remaining sessions come across as padding, being much shorter and no more substantial than a statement of the author's opinions and prejudices.

            Cheers,
            Laurent

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jeff M.
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 21, 2013
              Please submit any free related events to us via the link below, and they will be listed on our facebook feed and our events section of our website.
              Thanks.

              http://freescrum.com/add-something/