Re: [scrumdevelopment] User stories and relative complexity

  • Aeden Jameson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14 12:58 PM
      While I'm sure you'll eventually find what you want to. Here's something you may have not been looking for.

      http://www.industriallogic.com/blog/stop-using-story-points/

      On Wednesday, June 12, 2013, Jesse Houwing wrote:

      I'm looking for a good book or article which explains the process of estaimating (and re-estimating) user stories using relative estimation/story points.

      Especially around backlog ordering, dependencies between stories and whether to take the benefits of re-use into account in this context.

      The stakeholder argues that in classic estimation he had much more insights into dependencies between stories and could thus plan his releases much better. He'd like the backlog fulle re-estimated each time the order changes or a dependent story changes.

      Instead of talking to the hand, I'd like some good whitepapers or practices that clearly explain the differences between the approaches one might take to relative estimation ans writing of story points.

      I've got a pretty good idea on how I'd like to do it, but I can't find the handholds to get this guy on board. He asked for readign material, so at least I have that :).

      Jesse

      --
      Cheers,
      Aeden

      GitHub: https://github.com/aedenj
      Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/aedenjameson
      Blah Blah Blah: http://www.twitter.com/daliful

    • Dionatan Moura
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14 1:11 PM
        Hi,

        Agile Estimating and Planning, Mike Cohn. This book helped me a lot about estimating, I think it can help you too.

        -Dionatan Moura.

        On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Jesse Houwing <jesse.houwing@...> wrote:

[...]

        about.me/dionatanmoura
      • Jesse Houwing
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17 2:50 AM
          Thanks for the links, it matches my understanding. I'll go through the information to see which chapters to refer them to,

          On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@...> wrote:

          Hi Jesse,

          I think Mike Cohn's Agile Estimation and Planning is the default work in this area.

          For the particular discussion that you mention, it would probably be useful to look at things like Story Mapping (http://www.agileproductdesign.com/presentations/user_story_mapping/) and Feature Injection (http://www.infoq.com/articles/feature-injection-success).
          In general, dependencies remain important, but depending on your architecture and organisational structure you can alleviate this with more independent user stories.

          Wouter

          On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Jesse Houwing <jesse.houwing@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Steve Bockman
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17 9:31 AM
            Hi Jesse,

            I've written a book called Predictability which has a relative estimation technique at its core. You might find it useful:

            http://www.amazon.com/dp/1482048582

            --Steve Bockman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17 10:58 AM
              > Here's something you may have not been looking for.

              I wouldn't bother reading this article.

              There's one major flaw in it.  The team goes from using story points to "counting stories" because an ignorant manager thinks that velocity==productivity.  What's to stop the manager from asking the team to "go faster" by finishing a higher story count each week?

              Seems like the root cause was never addressed, and that's sad.

              It's also funny that the guy the author quotes responds in the first comment to disagree with him.

              -------
              Charles Bradley
              Professional Scrum Trainer
              Scrum Coach-in-Chief
              ScrumCrazy.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17 3:02 PM
                I think I agree, and it won't help me now. Client in case still wants to do a lot of long term planning and doesn't yet believe in the waste being created by constantly looking far ahead and doing all kinds of reestimation and simulations...

                Part one will be trying to get that out of the way.

                Still a long way from getting the trust in place to remove this 'need' to map everything out till the bottom of the backlog...

                Sent from my Windows Phone

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17 3:04 PM
                  Though there is some truth in the story, however flawed... Still, doesn't solve my problem 😉... Does highlight another one of the issues.

                  Sent from my Windows Phone

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 18 8:26 AM

                    Kind regards, cordialement, mit freundlichen Grüssen,

                    Pierre E. Neis, psm, cspo, csp
                    Scrum/Lean Coach - Senior Management Consultant

                    19 place Bleech |L-7610 Larochette | Luxembourg
                    M: +352 661 727 867

                    email:  pierre.neis@...
                    web:    http://wecompany.wordpress.com/ http://thescrumcoach.wordpress.com/
                    Meet with mehttp://meetwith.me/pierreneis

                    about.me LinkedIn
                    Contact me: Skype pierre.neis

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 18 8:43 AM
                      For long term, meta and retro planning helps.
                      You can transform the traditional phasing in Release packs and have FUP through Release Burndown.
                      Now it depends how comfortable do you feel with this.