Re: Agile Center of Excellence

  • evwoodward
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2013
      Hi Michael,

      Sorry about the crickets...I would be happy to share with you! I was part of the Enterprise Transition Committee for IBM's transformation. (We didn't call it that at the time...) Our effort spanned several business units, including large-scale software development, systems/embedded and global business services (application development for specific customers). At that time, we had about $65K dev team members world wide.

      We set up and worked with a grass roots, volunteer-led, cross-corporate Agile Community, and coordinated with Agile CoEs for each of the business units. The key to scaling was taking advantage of top-down support, while fully enabling self-organizing teams of volunteers. Mike Cohn included references to our model for scaling the ETC in his book Succeeding with Agile.

      There's also a Journal of Research and Development paper that speaks to the approach. It includes some nice descriptions of using Scrum to manage the transformation backlog, along with details of the kinds of activities in which the community engaged. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try to find a copy. Also happy to meet with you to discuss.

      -elizabeth
      linkedin.com/in/elizabethwoodward
      ibm.co/beagile

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "mdwollin" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > <Crickets>
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wollin <yahoo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I'm writing a proposal for an Agile Center of Excellence for my company. Who
      > > out there is involved with or knows a contact at a COE in a F-500 company?
      > > Would you be willing to share how your group is organized, its charter, or
      > > your experiences and suggestions? Leads and referrals welcome!!!
      > >
      > > Thank you.
      > >
      > > Michael

    • htsh_ozawa
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
        Hi,

        We aren't a F500 company but a IT subsidiary of the 2nd largest gas company in Japan. We've been trying to become agile. We started out with agile development but found this to be limiting because the value of agility really is about delivering business values instead of just software development. Focusing on business values of agile also give better appeal to the upper management. I'm not saying just focus on the business values but to focus on development AND business values.

        http://htshozawa.blogspot.jp/2013/05/having-executive-support.html

        Regards,
        Hitoshi Ozawa