Re: Agile Center of Excellence

  • evwoodward
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31 2:34 PM
      Hi Michael,

      Sorry about the crickets...I would be happy to share with you! I was part of the Enterprise Transition Committee for IBM's transformation. (We didn't call it that at the time...) Our effort spanned several business units, including large-scale software development, systems/embedded and global business services (application development for specific customers). At that time, we had about $65K dev team members world wide.

      We set up and worked with a grass roots, volunteer-led, cross-corporate Agile Community, and coordinated with Agile CoEs for each of the business units. The key to scaling was taking advantage of top-down support, while fully enabling self-organizing teams of volunteers. Mike Cohn included references to our model for scaling the ETC in his book Succeeding with Agile.

      There's also a Journal of Research and Development paper that speaks to the approach. It includes some nice descriptions of using Scrum to manage the transformation backlog, along with details of the kinds of activities in which the community engaged. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try to find a copy. Also happy to meet with you to discuss.

      -elizabeth
      linkedin.com/in/elizabethwoodward
      ibm.co/beagile

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "mdwollin" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > <Crickets>
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wollin <yahoo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I'm writing a proposal for an Agile Center of Excellence for my company. Who
      > > out there is involved with or knows a contact at a COE in a F-500 company?
      > > Would you be willing to share how your group is organized, its charter, or
      > > your experiences and suggestions? Leads and referrals welcome!!!
      > >
      > > Thank you.
      > >
      > > Michael

    • Alan Dayley
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
        Congratulations on the progress being made toward better ways of working. And on the desire to help such thinking flourish!

        You state your goal as "I'm out to create awareness of the sheer scope of [Agile adoption], the state of it, the much wished for desire for support, and the potential benefit (ROI) of actually supporting these teams in their agile growth." Excellent goals.

        Who are your "customers" of this work? Different customers may need different kinds of activities. Is an "Agile Center of Excellence" a good structure to meet the needs of your customers? These are the kinds of questions I would ask myself, given the goals you have stated.

        You also stated "Rather, agile has already been adopted (and is flourishing), bottom up, neither supported by or opposed by most of the senior leadership." How will an Agile Center for Excellence lead to enrolling senior leadership in transforming the company to Agile ways of working? Would some other structure or activity be better suited to do that?

        Maybe pulling a few interested and key people together in a room and build a business model canvas (http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/canvas) of what you are trying to accomplish would help. You might end up with an interesting goal to create a Center for Excellence or you might come up with other things to try.

        Alan

        On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

        Ah. Good point.

        In particular, we are not doing some sort of CIO directed agile adoption. Rather, agile has already been adopted (and is flourishing), bottom up, neither supported by or opposed by most of the senior leadership. I'm out to create awareness of the sheer scope of it, the state of it, the much wished for desire for support, and the potential benefit (ROI) of actually supporting these teams in their agile growth.

        So I'm wanting to grow my org, and looking for wisdom, guidance, and not reinventing the wheel. In the past, this list has had the best quality responses.

        Michael

        From: Alan Dayley <alandd@...>
        Date: Friday, May 31, 2013 6:58 PM
        To: "scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com" <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>

        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Center of Excellence

        Your request is actually pretty narrow. Someone who...
        ... has established an Agile Center of Excellence
        ... in a Fortune 500 company
        ... and is on this email list
        ... and is willing to talk about the experience
        ... and is not under an NDA about that experience
        ... would be pretty hard to find, I think.

        Maybe you can broaden your criteria and get more responses.

        I'm also curious as to what the "Agile Center of Excellence" means to you and your company. The few I have encountered, including one in an F-500 company, were not worth the emails I traded with them. I think that was because they were "figure head" departments without the authority or influence to actually effect much of anything.

        Alan

        On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

        Hi everyone,

        I'm writing a proposal for an Agile Center of Excellence for my company. Who out there is involved with or knows a contact at a COE in a F-500 company? Would you be willing to share how your group is organized, its charter, or your experiences and suggestions? Leads and referrals welcome!!!

        Thank you.

        Michael

      • htsh_ozawa
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
          Hi,

          We aren't a F500 company but a IT subsidiary of the 2nd largest gas company in Japan. We've been trying to become agile. We started out with agile development but found this to be limiting because the value of agility really is about delivering business values instead of just software development. Focusing on business values of agile also give better appeal to the upper management. I'm not saying just focus on the business values but to focus on development AND business values.

          http://htshozawa.blogspot.jp/2013/05/having-executive-support.html

          Regards,
          Hitoshi Ozawa