Re: [scrumdevelopment] Research on Distributed Scrum

  • Elizabeth Woodward
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2013
      Hi Arijit and Shoaib,

      I am quite interested in your work and believe it could make a valuable contribution to the agile community.

      Back in 2010, our agile transformation community--in collaboration with many other agile practitioners world wide--published the book A Practical Guide to Distributed Scrum. It was the result of many workgroup sessions where we brought together people who had been successful with distributed Scrum and those who had not to discuss, debate and derive some recommendations. The book explains different approaches that teams had taken, along with pros and cons.

      When we started the group discussions in 2008, it was even more controversial than it is today... It was important to us to make sure that we were aligning with the spirit of Scrum, and core agile principles and practices. We were very, very grateful to Ken Schwaber for reviewing the work to make sure we stayed in alignment with Scrum and for providing a foreword.

      I'm happy to get you a copy of the book if you would like one and discuss some of the evolution since then. We could also  organize broader live Q&A discussions through the Agile Transformation Zone if you would be interested in bringing together a diverse set of perspectives (embedded dev, application dev, large-scale software dev... different roles... different countries) for debate/discussion. Or... we could help with a survey at some point. Just let me know how we can help... all I ask is that we get to see a copy of your finished thesis.

      -elizabeth

      On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:40 AM, arijitdas2001 <arijitdas2005@...> wrote:

      Hello all,

      We are two masters student from BTH, Sweden, presently doing thesis on Mitigation of common issues and challenges: usage of Scrum in Global software development . We are looking to find out if Scrum in a distributed setting could somewhat mitigate the common issues and challenges of Global Software Development. The common challenges are categorized into 3Cs, namely Communication, Coordination and Control. We would be looking at the existing challenges found in the literature under those three categories. The challenges occur mainly due to geographical, temporal and socio-cultural distances within the distributed team(s).

      Presently, we would like to interview some Scrum practitioners who are working on a distributed project using Scrum methodology where we would like to discuss about those challenges and mitigation strategies. The interview/discussion takes around 45 mins to an hour online (Skype or other messenger services). There is also an online questionnaire available for the practitioners to fill up while discussing about the topic. The main requirement for the participants would be he/she needs to have experience in working in a distributed project where Scrum has been used as a methodology. If you think it would be an interesting topic to share your thoughts on, please reply to this thread and we would be able to arrange a date and time for discussion. We are positive your valuable thoughts would contribute to the agile community just like it would be a great help to our research.

      If you have any questions or inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

      Best Regards.

      Arijit Das
      Email: arijitdas2005@...

      Shoaib Rahman
      Email: shoaib_eng07@...

    • evwoodward
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2013
[...]

        linkedin.com/in/elizabethwoodward

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "arijitdas2001" <arijitdas2005@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > We are two masters student from BTH, Sweden, presently doing thesis on
        > Mitigation of common issues and challenges: usage of Scrum in Global
        > software development . We are looking to find out if Scrum in a
        > distributed setting could somewhat mitigate the common issues and
        > challenges of Global Software Development. The common challenges are
        > categorized into 3Cs, namely Communication, Coordination and Control. We
        > would be looking at the existing challenges found in the literature
        > under those three categories. The challenges occur mainly due to
        > geographical, temporal and socio-cultural distances within the
        > distributed team(s).
        >
        > Presently, we would like to interview some Scrum practitioners who are
        > working on a distributed project using Scrum methodology where we would
        > like to discuss about those challenges and mitigation strategies. The
        > interview/discussion takes around 45 mins to an hour online (Skype or
        > other messenger services). There is also an online questionnaire
        > available for the practitioners to fill up while discussing about the
        > topic. The main requirement for the participants would be he/she needs
        > to have experience in working in a distributed project where Scrum has
        > been used as a methodology. If you think it would be an interesting
        > topic to share your thoughts on, please reply to this thread and we
        > would be able to arrange a date and time for discussion. We are positive
        > your valuable thoughts would contribute to the agile community just like
        > it would be a great help to our research.
        >
        > If you have any questions or inquiries, please do not hesitate to
        > contact us.
        >
        > Best Regards.
        >
        > Arijit Das
        > Email: arijitdas2005@...
        >
        > Shoaib Rahman
        > Email: shoaib_eng07@...

      • Hitoshi Ozawa
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2013
          Hi,
          I'm giving a talk titled "Adapting Agile Methodology to Overcome Social Differences in Project Members"
          at Agile2013 this August 5th.
          bit.ly/14o51qX

          Hitoshi

          --- In mailto:scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com, "arijitdas2001" <arijitdas2005@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > We are two masters student from BTH, Sweden, presently doing thesis on
          > Mitigation of common issues and challenges: usage of Scrum in Global
          > software development . We are looking to find out if Scrum in a
          > distributed setting could somewhat mitigate the common issues and
          > challenges of Global Software Development. The common challenges are
          > categorized into 3Cs, namely Communication, Coordination and Control. We
          > would be looking at the existing challenges found in the literature
          > under those three categories. The challenges occur mainly due to
          > geographical, temporal and socio-cultural distances within the
          > distributed team(s).
          >
          > Presently, we would like to interview some Scrum practitioners who are
          > working on a distributed project using Scrum methodology where we would
          > like to discuss about those challenges and mitigation strategies. The
          > interview/discussion takes around 45 mins to an hour online (Skype or
          > other messenger services). There is also an online questionnaire
          > available for the practitioners to fill up while discussing about the
          > topic. The main requirement for the participants would be he/she needs
          > to have experience in working in a distributed project where Scrum has
          > been used as a methodology. If you think it would be an interesting
          > topic to share your thoughts on, please reply to this thread and we
          > would be able to arrange a date and time for discussion. We are positive
          > your valuable thoughts would contribute to the agile community just like
          > it would be a great help to our research.
          >
          > If you have any questions or inquiries, please do not hesitate to
          > contact us.
          >
          > Best Regards.
          >
          > Arijit Das
          > Email: arijitdas2005@...
          >
          > Shoaib Rahman
          > Email: shoaib_eng07@...

        • Arijit Das
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2013
            Hi there, that is a good topic for discussion. It matches our research topic as well. It would be great if you allow us to have a discussion with you regarding our topic.

            BR
            Das

            Sent from my iPhone