Agile Center of Excellence

  • Michael Wollin
    Message 1 of 11 , May 29, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I'm writing a proposal for an Agile Center of Excellence for my company. Who out there is involved with or knows a contact at a COE in a F-500 company? Would you be willing to share how your group is organized, its charter, or your experiences and suggestions? Leads and referrals welcome!!!

      Thank you.

      Michael

    • mdwollin
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2013
        <Crickets>

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm writing a proposal for an Agile Center of Excellence for my company. Who
        > out there is involved with or knows a contact at a COE in a F-500 company?
        > Would you be willing to share how your group is organized, its charter, or
        > your experiences and suggestions? Leads and referrals welcome!!!
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Michael

      • evwoodward
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2013
          Hi Michael,

          Sorry about the crickets...I would be happy to share with you! I was part of the Enterprise Transition Committee for IBM's transformation. (We didn't call it that at the time...) Our effort spanned several business units, including large-scale software development, systems/embedded and global business services (application development for specific customers). At that time, we had about $65K dev team members world wide.

          We set up and worked with a grass roots, volunteer-led, cross-corporate Agile Community, and coordinated with Agile CoEs for each of the business units. The key to scaling was taking advantage of top-down support, while fully enabling self-organizing teams of volunteers. Mike Cohn included references to our model for scaling the ETC in his book Succeeding with Agile.

          There's also a Journal of Research and Development paper that speaks to the approach. It includes some nice descriptions of using Scrum to manage the transformation backlog, along with details of the kinds of activities in which the community engaged. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try to find a copy. Also happy to meet with you to discuss.

          -elizabeth
          linkedin.com/in/elizabethwoodward
          ibm.co/beagile

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "mdwollin" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > <Crickets>
          >
          > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wollin <yahoo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > I'm writing a proposal for an Agile Center of Excellence for my company. Who
          > > out there is involved with or knows a contact at a COE in a F-500 company?
          > > Would you be willing to share how your group is organized, its charter, or
          > > your experiences and suggestions? Leads and referrals welcome!!!
          > >
          > > Thank you.
          > >
          > > Michael

        • Don Gray
          Message 4 of 11 , May 31, 2013
            Michael,

            <Crickets>

            And many of them! <smile>

            I'm writing a proposal for an Agile Center of Excellence for my company.

            What value does your company hope to receive from an Agile Center of Excellence?

            Don Gray - Exploring Human Systems in Action
            (336)414-4645

            Nothing is more dangerous than an idea, when it's the only one you have.
            Emile-Auguste Chartier

          • Alan Dayley
            Message 5 of 11 , May 31, 2013
              Your request is actually pretty narrow. Someone who...
              ... has established an Agile Center of Excellence
              ... in a Fortune 500 company
              ... and is on this email list
              ... and is willing to talk about the experience
              ... and is not under an NDA about that experience
              ... would be pretty hard to find, I think.

              Maybe you can broaden your criteria and get more responses.

              I'm also curious as to what the "Agile Center of Excellence" means to you and your company. The few I have encountered, including one in an F-500 company, were not worth the emails I traded with them. I think that was because they were "figure head" departments without the authority or influence to actually effect much of anything.

              Alan

              Message 6 of 11 , May 31, 2013
                +1

                -------
                Charles Bradley
                Professional Scrum Trainer
                Scrum Coach-in-Chief
                ScrumCrazy.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2013
                  On 31 May 2013 23:58, Alan Dayley <alandd@...> wrote:
                  I'm also curious as to what the "Agile Center of Excellence" means to you and your company.

                  Ditto.

                  The few I have encountered, including one in an F-500 company, were not worth the emails I traded with them.

                  This matches my experience. The few that I have encountered haven't worked - and indeed have been pretty much the opposite of the name. They've been an attempt to have a centralised group manage a global organisational change and so have probably been doomed from inception...

                • Michael Wollin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2013
                    Ah. Good point.

                    In particular, we are not doing some sort of CIO directed agile adoption. Rather, agile has already been adopted (and is flourishing), bottom up, neither supported by or opposed by most of the senior leadership. I'm out to create awareness of the sheer scope of it, the state of it, the much wished for desire for support, and the potential benefit (ROI) of actually supporting these teams in their agile growth.

                    So I'm wanting to grow my org, and looking for wisdom, guidance, and not reinventing the wheel. In the past, this list has had the best quality responses.

                    Michael

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
                      Congratulations on the progress being made toward better ways of working. And on the desire to help such thinking flourish!

                      You state your goal as "I'm out to create awareness of the sheer scope of [Agile adoption], the state of it, the much wished for desire for support, and the potential benefit (ROI) of actually supporting these teams in their agile growth." Excellent goals.

                      Who are your "customers" of this work? Different customers may need different kinds of activities. Is an "Agile Center of Excellence" a good structure to meet the needs of your customers? These are the kinds of questions I would ask myself, given the goals you have stated.

                      You also stated "Rather, agile has already been adopted (and is flourishing), bottom up, neither supported by or opposed by most of the senior leadership." How will an Agile Center for Excellence lead to enrolling senior leadership in transforming the company to Agile ways of working? Would some other structure or activity be better suited to do that?

                      Maybe pulling a few interested and key people together in a room and build a business model canvas (http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/canvas) of what you are trying to accomplish would help. You might end up with an interesting goal to create a Center for Excellence or you might come up with other things to try.

                      Alan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
                        Mike,

                        To report about status, you need to define the metrics your organization is " interested " to see, from my experience, you want to show them the before and after metrics: code quality, time to market, post production defects, ...etc. In a way you will share the current status but also you will show the level of improvement caused by using agile. As for support,

                        If you have the bandwith to hire agile coachs be it FTPs or contractors, you want to assign coachs by product or departments rather than locations. I'm open for more discussions on this topic. You can reach me any time on my cell.
                        From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
                          Hi,

                          We aren't a F500 company but a IT subsidiary of the 2nd largest gas company in Japan. We've been trying to become agile. We started out with agile development but found this to be limiting because the value of agility really is about delivering business values instead of just software development. Focusing on business values of agile also give better appeal to the upper management. I'm not saying just focus on the business values but to focus on development AND business values.

                          http://htshozawa.blogspot.jp/2013/05/having-executive-support.html

                          Regards,
                          Hitoshi Ozawa