Re: [scrumdevelopment] How to motivate team members Individually?

  • markdavidgraybill
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2013
      It isn't difficult. There are a few fundamental practices I would recommend. First and foremost, there will be variation in performance among individuals. Effective performance management is still essential but doesn't have to be a big deal and how you do it makes a big difference in its effectiveness and whether it detracts.

      Scrum addresses the project not the personnel side. The manager's job should be to lead and to address the personnel side. The most effective philosophy is at least a Theory Y and I recommend more toward a Theory Z. Good leadership perspectives and practices serve well in this regard and is something that is not handled by Agile.

      The manager/leader should establish rapport and trust with individual team members through regular one-on-one meetings. This is more important than administrative duties. Individuals are motivated naturally when they are valued, when they know they matter, have opportunity to contribute and grow, and their concerns are heard.

      Individual performance management is still a necessity.

      The manager should also establish a rapport with the team as a whole and to reward the team as a whole. Individual performance matters are never discussed or punished or rewarded publicly - it is always in private with the individual.

      You'll find with self-organizing teams that practice Scrum, when individuals are not pulling their weight and not asking for help will be noticed pretty quickly by the other team members. You'll find such complaints surface during the one-on-ones. The manager can then address the complaints and if done properly can smooth out most issues without any action. I always look at everything first as what "impedance mismatch" needs to be resolved - not who needs to be punished. Often misunderstandings, differences in approaches or communications, and variation in what people believe is expected of them are at the root of many issues.

      And if there is conflict, using simple conflict management and HPPP (Harvard Negotiation Project Principles) while maximizing one's own EI (emotional intelligence), a manager often finds mountains are really only ant hills.

      I like to identify what each member of the team thinks is expected of them and what each thinks is "above and beyond". I like to identify members who could benefit from personal growth and then making that happen. This is the individual leadership I prefer. The team leadership is much simpler and when the team sees good leadership efforts such as going to bat for the team, buffering the team culture from the external environment where needed, and removing obstacles, motivation gets socialized and will increase morale and thus individual motivation.

      Scrum is not a license to throw away good practices just because they do not have a place in the Agile Manifesto. Scrum is also not a silver bullet.

      on May 14, 2013, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      >I think the principles behind the Agile Manifesto (http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html) make it pretty clear, particularly this one: "Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done." I think that the desire to track individual performance is a pretty clear symptom
      >of NOT trusting them to get the job done.
      >Also, "The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams." You aren't going to get a self-organizing team out of a group of people who know they
      >are being judged individually. They will make decisions to optimize their individual
      >performance rather than optimizing the whole.
      >

      >On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Ali H. Moghadam <ali.moghadam@...> wrote:
      >

      >Hi Nirmala,I think tracking individual performance is somehow against teamwork, as it will reinforce
      >the old competitive culture, in which individuals have no reason to help each other
      >to improve. Also, most of the performance measures are easy to cheat, and if you
      >pay a knowledge worker based on some rigid metrics, the will find the shortest way
      >to maximise that metric, which usually is not the real goal! For example, if you
      >try to measure each persons contribution to the progress of the project by counting
      >the number of stories she had done, then they will break the tasks into smaller ones.
      >If you count story points, then their estimation will be affected. If you count the
      >hours, the speed will be decreased. The only valid metric, is the working product,
      >which leads to the business value. And it belongs to the whole team, not some shining
      >heroes in the team.Bests,Alix
      >

      >On May 9, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Nirmala Jegadheesan <jnirmala@...> wrote:
      >

      >Hi, Welcome to Agile :) Thats a very good question and if not thought well ahead might
      >spoil the change totally. First the hand the the team should be committed and honest
      >all the time. To do so its the Lead or the Manager (not necassarily the scrum master)
      >should first evaluate the team members and get such a buy-in from them in the beginning.
      >Only such members can really contribute to an Agile team as here there is nothing
      >called and "Individual member" and hence for all the highs and lows the entire team
      >would be pin pointed. Matured team members can automatically do that. But when watching
      >closely the tasks which are individually assigned should be tracked. If you have
      >a software for the same its easy to track the effort of individuals. And high performing
      >individuals can be awarded separately as everybody in the "Agile team" would be convinced
      >by those persons. As its more transparent now :)Motivation is easily done by everyday, well organized, stand-up meetings.Regards,Nirmala

    • Nirmala Jegadheesan
      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2013
        Mark,
           Excellent reply which even though I had experienced, I can never put in proper words! To be remembered by every Lead in an Agile team.
        Many thanks,
        Nirmala

        on May 14, 2013, Adam Sroka <mailto:adam.sroka%40gmail.com> wrote:

        >I think the principles behind the Agile Manifesto (http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html) make it pretty clear, particularly this one: "Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done." I think that the desire to track individual performance is a pretty clear symptom
        >of NOT trusting them to get the job done.
        >Also, "The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams." You aren't going to get a self-organizing team out of a group of people who know they
        >are being judged individually. They will make decisions to optimize their individual
        >performance rather than optimizing the whole.
        >

        >On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Ali H. Moghadam <mailto:ali.moghadam%40gmail.com> wrote:
        >

        >Hi Nirmala,I think tracking individual performance is somehow against teamwork, as it will reinforce
        >the old competitive culture, in which individuals have no reason to help each other
        >to improve. Also, most of the performance measures are easy to cheat, and if you
        >pay a knowledge worker based on some rigid metrics, the will find the shortest way
        >to maximise that metric, which usually is not the real goal! For example, if you
        >try to measure each persons contribution to the progress of the project by counting
        >the number of stories she had done, then they will break the tasks into smaller ones.
        >If you count story points, then their estimation will be affected. If you count the
        >hours, the speed will be decreased. The only valid metric, is the working product,
        >which leads to the business value. And it belongs to the whole team, not some shining
        >heroes in the team.Bests,Alix
        >

        >On May 9, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Nirmala Jegadheesan <mailto:jnirmala%40yahoo.com> wrote:
        >

        >Hi, Welcome to Agile :) Thats a very good question and if not thought well ahead might
        >spoil the change totally. First the hand the the team should be committed and honest
        >all the time. To do so its the Lead or the Manager (not necassarily the scrum master)
        >should first evaluate the team members and get such a buy-in from them in the beginning.
        >Only such members can really contribute to an Agile team as here there is nothing
        >called and "Individual member" and hence for all the highs and lows the entire team
        >would be pin pointed. Matured team members can automatically do that. But when watching
        >closely the tasks which are individually assigned should be tracked. If you have
        >a software for the same its easy to track the effort of individuals. And high performing
        >individuals can be awarded separately as everybody in the "Agile team" would be convinced
        >by those persons. As its more transparent now :)Motivation is easily done by everyday, well organized, stand-up meetings.Regards,Nirmala

      • Vasanth
        Message 3 of 12 , May 19, 2013
          I liked the various discussions going around this topic. Let's look at the Agile principle "Build projects around motivated individuals and Trust them.......". The key here is TRUST. If the team is already self-organized, then there is TRUST. If not, you need to first make them self-organize (agile principle 11). I have not seen anyone mention about coaching/mentoring team members. Usually its not the entire teams that is not motivated, but just a select few individuals. Also, there could be several reasons for the lack of motivation. By talking to these individuals it is possible to find that out, and address it. See if it makes sense to discuss this in the next retrospective. Once the root cause is identified, then a good response can change things around. Look at things like stress levels, P.O pushing more work, to many interruptions, interference of chicken, etc., (at the team level). Else if the problem is at the individual level, then use EI techniques to gain perspectives, and them try to help the individual(s). So, be empathetic, listen, and them suggest how you can help. Usually, this helps.

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mark@... wrote:

> [...]
          > >all the time. To do so its the Lead or the Manager (not necassarily the scrum master)
          > >should first evaluate the team members and get such a buy-in from them in the beginning.
          > >Only such members can really contribute to an Agile team as here there is nothing
          > >called and "Individual member" and hence for all the highs and lows the entire team
          > >would be pin pointed. Matured team members can automatically do that. But when watching
          > >closely the tasks which are individually assigned should be tracked. If you have
          > >a software for the same its easy to track the effort of individuals. And high performing
          > >individuals can be awarded separately as everybody in the "Agile team" would be convinced
          > >by those persons. As its more transparent now :)Motivation is easily done by everyday, well organized, stand-up meetings.Regards,Nirmala

        • Michael James
          Message 4 of 12 , May 20, 2013
            Well, this hybrid approach is one way of doing things.  I'd personally rather work for a place that's invested in the Scrum definition "The team is utterly self managing" (Schwaber, 2004) in deeds as well as words.

            Some of the issues that provoke manager intervention could be addressed by allowing people to choose their teams, as described here:

            --mj

          • jsutherland
            Message 5 of 12 , May 20, 2013
              Try the Happiness Metric in your retrospective. There is a series of blog items on this at:
              http://scrum.jeffsutherland.com/search?q=happiness

              Jeff Sutherland