Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum works on a team with multiple projects?

  • Kevin Callahan
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 23, 2013
      I'm confused here as well, especially since both scrum teams I work with have what I consider to be multiple projects (at least 2 code repos at varying stages of ALC).

      Scrum requires a product backlog prioritized by a product owner, who has the organizational authority to do so.

      How does this preclude multiple code bases/applications/projects or even products?

      I agree that there is a cost, at times a very high one, to context switching and that having multiple contexts can directly impact the team's ability to quickly deliver working software.

      Though I don't see how multiple projects precludes scrum. On the contrary scrum can be used very effectively to show the organization the cost/value of this approach.

      -k

      On Apr 23, 2013, at 5:25 PM, Markus Gaertner wrote:

      Or change your understanding of "projects" and why you need multiple of them.

      Best
      Markus

      On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Leonardo Nunes <leonardobn@...> wrote:

      "A scrum team should not work on multiple projects." ???

      So what i have to do? Forget Scrum? Really?

      --
      Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
      Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development

      Kevin Callahan
      Scrum Master & Agile Coach
      LiveWorld Inc.

      Mobile+1 (207) 691-2997
      Emailkcallahan@...
      Skypekevmocal
      Webwww.liveworld.com

      Follow UsFacebook Twitter LinkedIn

    • Mark Levison
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 30, 2013
        Mark - this discussion proves the earlier point. Project says nothing about size and so its unclear how big a thing you're describing. Leonardo's projects were anything from hours to weeks. Yours are months to a year. Its likely they have little in common.

        I hereby declare the word "project" retired. If I see it used again I will take it out behind the barn and shoot it :-)

        Cheers
        Mark

        On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:

        I never said our teams are context switching between projects. I simply stated that a project is a large epic. As such, it needs to be broken down into smaller features/stories. Our teams usually work on one project, with an average of 4 iterations.

        Thus, projects themselves are not the problem. How you prioritize and execute them is the rub.

        Of course, if one has huge projects, then there will be pressure to work on multiple projects concurrently, as the business side generally doesn't like to hear that their project will be starting in 12 months.

        The key, as usual, is to develop the skills to reduce features down to the smallest possible size that still provides business value.

        Mark

        --
        Cheers
        Mark Levison