Re: CONCERN: over continuing Schisming/Fragmentation of Scrum & Agile

  • tomjcorcoran
    Message 1 of 107 , Apr 19, 2013
      Hi Ron,

      > Hi Tom,
      >
      > On Apr 16, 2013, at 11:39 AM, "tomjcorcoran" <boardtc@...> wrote:
      > Agile != Scrum. (And Scrum is not an acronym.)

      Thanks for pulling my lazy words up.

      > > In big projects this is too simplistic, single teams cannot ship, they have to interact with other teams to ship. The Spotify model of chapters and guilds as well as SoS is an example of scaling in practice.

      > Are there examples of SoS that we could study or read about that would convince us the company was in fact using Scrum on big projects, throughout?

      There are companies trying to scale agile using scrum. I think all the examples are WiP and probably more will get written about as more big projects get delivered.

      > Is Spotify known and agreed to be Agile? Do they look like a largish company doing Scrum on big projects throughout? Can we read about that?

      All I am going on is the Kniberg snapshot write-up on Spotify from Oct 12 (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1018963/Articles/SpotifyScaling.pdf) where he states "Dealing with multiple teams in a product development organization is always a challenge! One of the most impressive examples we've seen so far is Spotify, which has kept an agile mindset despite having scaled to over 30 teams across 3 cities."

      The phrase 'Agile mindset' is interesting and reflective of a big project trying to scale Agile.

      Tom.
    • A Narasimhan
      Message 107 of 107 , Apr 21, 2013
        Thanks a lot, George.
        Rgds-AN

        Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:55 PM
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] CONCERN: over continuing Schisming/Fragmentation of Scrum & Agile

        AN,

        On 4/20/13 10:16 AM, A Narasimhan wrote:

        > Hi:
        > Recently there was a mail on Agile Scaling by Ron Jeffries which went
        > something
        > like this:
        > ‘Collaboration works in a team but not so much in a building...’ etc.
        > There were several points covered in that mail on scaling. I somehow
        > deleted that mail.
        > Can someone re-send the mail please...You could also send it to my
        > personal mail
        > mailto:an.narasimhan%40yahoo.co.in <mailto:mailto:an.narasimhan%40yahoo.co.in>
        > Rgds-AN

        Every email has a trailer that includes:

        > Visit Your Group
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scrumdevelopment

        You can go there to search for messages.

        - George