Re: [Scrum] Distributed team - tools for Story Mapping

  • Ram Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2013
      Thanks Alan, I have tried that. Considering that it is free, it is a pretty decent tool. Some of the challenges that I encountered using the tool are that there is a considerable lag in updating the board (if someone moves a card) and there is no way to import stuff into it. But its free, so I cannot complain. And thanks to Jeremy Lightsmith and Jeff Patton for making it available for all of us

      On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Alan Dayley <adayley@...> wrote:
      Try cardmapping.com. It has some limitations but seems to strike a reasonable balance between useful and too fancy.

      Alan

      On Apr 9, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Derek Davidson <derek.davidson@...> wrote:

      I've used TFS (in a .NET environment) and Jira with Greenhopper (in a Java environment).

      I prefer to use physical boards only wherever possible but in circumstances where that's not practical (i.e.: Distributed Teams), either of the above fills the bill.

      --
      Derek Davidson

      From: Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...>
      Date: Tuesday, 9 April 2013 16:51
      To: "scrumalliance@..." <scrumalliance@...>, <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>, <leanagile@yahoogroups.com>, "Scrum-India@yahoogroups.com" <Scrum-India@yahoogroups.com>, <extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Scrum] Distributed team - tools for Story Mapping

      I am helping a distributed team (PO and developers in different locations) and though, personally, I like "physical" story maps better, the team would need an electronic tool for story mapping.

      Which electronic tool(s) have you used for "virtual" story maps? Considering that we are currently using excel/google spread sheet to manage stories, it would be great if the tool would have an "import" feature  (so that we need not write stories again) . Some form of "export" functionality will be nice to have feature.

      Thanks,
      Ram

    • Mark Levison
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22, 2013
        Dinesh - I'm confused. I don't see how Swift Kanban supports Story Mapping at all. Could you send a picture that gets the point across? The only feature I could find that related to our goal.

        Confused in Ottawa
        Mark

        On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Dinesh Sharma <dino.sharma@...> wrote:
        Ram,
        I have used Swift-Kanban tool that provides a very nice Story mapping feature in form of mind mapping. I used it in a very large project and its worth trying. There is a free community version that you can use and see if it serves the purpose.

        Thanks,
        Dinesh

        On 9 April 2013 16:51, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...> wrote:
        I am helping a distributed team (PO and developers in different locations) and though, personally, I like "physical" story maps better, the team would need an electronic tool for story mapping.

        Which electronic tool(s) have you used for "virtual" story maps? Considering that we are currently using excel/google spread sheet to manage stories, it would be great if the tool would have an "import" feature  (so that we need not write stories again) . Some form of "export" functionality will be nice to have feature.

        Thanks,
        Ram

        Many Thanks,
        Dinesh Sharma

        "You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win & expect to win." - Zig Ziglar

        Cheers
        Mark Levison
        Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Writing
        Proud Sponsor of Agile Tour Gatineau Ottawa Nov 28, Toronto 26 and Montreal 24
      • Sudipta Lahiri
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2013
          Hello Mark,

          Swift-Kanban let's you break requirement to any level using a mind-map like paradigm.

          For release planning, you can define releases and select the different user stories that you want to plan for any particular release.

          Regards
          Sudipta

          On 22-Apr-2013, at 19:38, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:

[...]

          MARKETPLACE

          Yahoo! Groups
          Switch to:
        • Dinesh Sharma
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22, 2013
            Mark,
            Please see Linked Card feature in Swift Kanban. You can get more details on this help page. http://help.swift-kanban.com/ getting-started/projects/ cards/managing-traceability- links.html.

            Thanks & Regards,
            Dinesh Sharma

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2014
              A customer who is suffering with Jira just asked about this, and I was unable to come up with a wholehearted recommendation of any electronic tool.
              —mj
              (Michael)

              On Nov 6, 2014, at 4:30 PM, Francisco Sanchez <ing.fran12@...> wrote:

              I recommend a tool called Trello: www.trello.com