Re: [scrumdevelopment] CONCERN: over continuing Schisming/Fragmentation of Scrum & Agile

  • Kurt Häusler
    Message 1 of 107 , Apr 10, 2013
      It is all good. Schism seems to be a strange word to use. Does anyone
      want a singular, official, unified, understanding of what Agile is and
      how it should be certified? (I did notice you defined your schism
      based on the 3 major certification providers, an interesting and
      perhaps telling choice).

      A few years ago you might have concerned yourself with the "schism"
      between XP, DSDM and Crystal. But in hindsight it seems healthy to
      have a variety of communities coming up with different ideas and
      trying them out and feeding off each other.

      Today we could also concern ourselves with the "schism" between those
      who see agile as being about programming practices, those who see it
      as being something about how knowledge work or product development is
      managed, and those who see it as a whole new mindset that will replace
      the way any type of organisation gets managed.

      Another Schism in the community could be those focused agile and
      scrum, those combining lean approaches and ideas from flow based
      development and the Kanban community, and those who say Agile is
      obsolete and Stoos is the future.

      But why worry? Why not encourage this dynamic, thriving innovation?

      As far as Scrum goes, specifically the differences between the Scrum
      Guide and Core Scrum, well people are concerned about that. I noticed
      a few threads on Xing recently about the topic. Some people see the
      differences as being serious and important, and something in dire need
      of resolution. I and many others don't care that much. I think I
      prefer the Scrum Guide's latest description of Scrum, but really,
      whatever works best for the team is fine for me, and I find heated
      discussions on the topic a bit of a waste of effort that could be
      better invested elsewhere.

      It appears as though you are in favor of a "fully-engaged effort to
      try and resolve the following differences
      among these three different, for lack of a better term, "Factions""

      Well if you think that is important, then you can attempt to concern
      others with it and maybe reach come positive outcome. You aren't
      alone, but to be honest I don't think many people are too worried.

      We will always have the choice to do what we think is best, based on
      the rich variety of ideas out there, and the specific needs of our
      context, regardless of which certification provider happens to
      describe parts of a framework in a certain way.
    • A Narasimhan
      Message 107 of 107 , Apr 21, 2013
        Thanks a lot, George.
        Rgds-AN

        Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:55 PM
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] CONCERN: over continuing Schisming/Fragmentation of Scrum & Agile

        AN,

        On 4/20/13 10:16 AM, A Narasimhan wrote:

        > Hi:
        > Recently there was a mail on Agile Scaling by Ron Jeffries which went
        > something
        > like this:
        > ‘Collaboration works in a team but not so much in a building...’ etc.
        > There were several points covered in that mail on scaling. I somehow
        > deleted that mail.
        > Can someone re-send the mail please...You could also send it to my
        > personal mail
        > mailto:an.narasimhan%40yahoo.co.in <mailto:mailto:an.narasimhan%40yahoo.co.in>
        > Rgds-AN

        Every email has a trailer that includes:

        > Visit Your Group
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scrumdevelopment

        You can go there to search for messages.

        - George