Re: [scrumdevelopment] CONCERN: over continuing Schisming/Fragmentation of Scrum & Agile

  • Markus Gaertner
    Message 1 of 107 , Apr 10, 2013
      Hi Doug,

      from my perspective what happens in the Scrum community right now it exactly what companies are doing in order to come up with innovation: they build smaller business units that can try out new things.

      From my perspective, Scrum Alliance, Scrum.org and the PMI CoP have different target audiences, and different customer segments they serve. Therefore they are experiencing different situations at clients, which call for probably different answers. Over time this might yield to three or ten different variations of Scrum in the workfield, and we probably want new names for that.

      On the other hand, the alternative would be to create a community based upon conflict. My colleague Stefan Roock called that case that the culture is at war with itself. At that point during a Scrum transition from Theory X to Theory Y thinking, it helps to separate the Theory Y thinkers in their own independent business unit where they can get the flexibility to innovate. That's what happened with Scrum Alliance and Scrum.org, leading to two different systems of certification, where Scrum.org appears to scale faster with regards to the number of certified trainers in the past year compared to the Scrum Alliance.

      I don't know whether this is any good or bad news, but we will find that one out.

      Best
      Markus

      On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Doug <dshelton94501@...> wrote:

      FOLKS:
      I'm curious to hear some thoughts - not only from my fellow ScrumMasters out there - but hopefully right from the mouths of any  "Agile Thought Leaders" (e.g., Manifesto signers, major authors, etc.) about the continuing schism in Scrum - And - agile
      "frameworks" (I'm attempting to avoid raising the ire of purists who might waste time arguing the precise definition - and/or "appropriateness" - of the words I'm using here).
      Specifically, I'm talking about three seemingly **diverging** areas:
      1. The Scrum Alliance and its continuing "evolution" of Scrum (and associated agile - what, hopefully "processes" is an acceptable term?)
      2. Ken Schwaber's Scrum.org.  While it does seem that he and Jeff Sutherland continue to collaborate on the evolving definition of Scrum (at least as far as 2011??), nevertheless his absence from the Scrum Alliance and its annual conference is telling - - -
      3. The PMI-Agile Community of Practice, their new agile certification, and related Agile conferences (e.g., Agile Development Conference West, gee whiz, also in Las Vegas a month after the Scrum Alliance conference) and associated processes such as Leffingwell's Scaled Agile Framework.  FYI - it looks like Rally is backing/funding this conference while VersionOne is backing/funding the Scrum Alliance conference.
      WHAT'S THE ISSUE?  Simply that I detect strong smells of  "religious-like entrenchment" - and conversely - little (if any) fully-engaged effort (at least that I am aware of ) to try and resolve the following differences among these three different, for lack of a better term, "Factions" regarding:
      1. Identifying (and then resolving) differences in frameworks/processes/approaches
      2. Acknowledging the validity of issues addressed by one or the other factions (as just **one** particular example:  Scaling Scrum) - and then subsequently circling back around to point #1
      3. (My least concern) appropriate certification
      I agree that it could be argued that one should simply follow all three factions to the extent possible and make their own determination as to "what to use" from each.  However, apart from the fact that this is very time consuming and expensive (and potentially a major "gamble") it truly seems quite UNagile for there to be no work on resolving differences and/or "niches" appropriate for each faction.
      Thoughts?

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
      Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development
      Message 107 of 107 , Apr 21, 2013
        Thanks a lot, George.
        Rgds-AN

        Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:55 PM
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] CONCERN: over continuing Schisming/Fragmentation of Scrum & Agile

        AN,

        On 4/20/13 10:16 AM, A Narasimhan wrote:

        > Hi:
        > Recently there was a mail on Agile Scaling by Ron Jeffries which went
        > something
        > like this:
        > ‘Collaboration works in a team but not so much in a building...’ etc.
        > There were several points covered in that mail on scaling. I somehow
        > deleted that mail.
        > Can someone re-send the mail please...You could also send it to my
        > personal mail
        > mailto:an.narasimhan%40yahoo.co.in <mailto:mailto:an.narasimhan%40yahoo.co.in>
        > Rgds-AN

        Every email has a trailer that includes:

        > Visit Your Group
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scrumdevelopment

        You can go there to search for messages.

        - George