Re: [XP] [Scrum] Distributed team - tools for Story Mapping

  • Dion Stewart
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2013
      Development of the cardmapping.com tool is continuing at cardboardit.com

      Jeff Patton and David Hussman are guiding development from a product perspective. You can sign up for a beta account by emailing cardboard@.... There's also a forum where you can submit feature requests. You can access that forum by clicking on the "Feedback" link at the cardboardit.com web site.

      The product roadmap currently includes the ability to export stories created in CardBoard so they can easily be imported into agile project management tools (e.g., VersionOne).

      Also, I think you'll find that the update lag has been improved.

      Dion
      Developer and Agile Coach at DevJam

      On Apr 9, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Ram Srinivasan wrote:

      Thanks Alan, I have tried that. Considering that it is free, it is a pretty
      decent tool. Some of the challenges that I encountered using the tool are
      that there is a considerable lag in updating the board (if someone moves a
      card) and there is no way to import stuff into it. But its free, so I
      cannot complain. And thanks to Jeremy Lightsmith and Jeff Patton for making
      it available for all of us

      On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Alan Dayley <adayley@...> wrote:

      > Try cardmapping.com. It has some limitations but seems to strike a
      > reasonable balance between useful and too fancy.
      >
      > Alan
      >
      > On Apr 9, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Derek Davidson <derek.davidson@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > I've used TFS (in a .NET environment) and Jira with Greenhopper (in a Java
      > environment).
      >
      > I prefer to use physical boards only wherever possible but in
      > circumstances where that's not practical (i.e.: Distributed Teams), either
      > of the above fills the bill.
      >
      > --
      > Derek Davidson
      >

      > From: Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...>
      > Date: Tuesday, 9 April 2013 16:51
      > To: "scrumalliance@..." <scrumalliance@...>, <
      > scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>, <leanagile@yahoogroups.com>, "
      > Scrum-India@yahoogroups.com" <Scrum-India@yahoogroups.com>, <
      > extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [Scrum] Distributed team - tools for Story Mapping
      >
      > I am helping a distributed team (PO and developers in different locations)
      > and though, personally, I like "physical" story maps better, the team would
      > need an electronic tool for story mapping.
      >
      > Which electronic tool(s) have you used for "virtual" story maps?
      > Considering that we are currently using excel/google spread sheet to manage
      > stories, it would be great if the tool would have an "import" feature (so
      > that we need not write stories again) . Some form of "export" functionality
      > will be nice to have feature.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Ram
      >
      > --
      >

      > --
      >

      > --

    • Alan Dayley
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2013
        Thank you for the pointer, Dion.

        If I may ask, what was the reasoning to continue development at a new site instead of continuing at cardmapping.com?

        Alan

        Development of the cardmapping.com tool is continuing at cardboardit.com

        Jeff Patton and David Hussman are guiding development from a product perspective. You can sign up for a beta account by emailing cardboard@.... There's also a forum where you can submit feature requests. You can access that forum by clicking on the "Feedback" link at the cardboardit.com web site.

        The product roadmap currently includes the ability to export stories created in CardBoard so they can easily be imported into agile project management tools (e.g., VersionOne).

        Also, I think you'll find that the update lag has been improved.

        Dion
        Developer and Agile Coach at DevJam

        On Apr 9, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Ram Srinivasan wrote:

        Thanks Alan, I have tried that. Considering that it is free, it is a pretty
        decent tool. Some of the challenges that I encountered using the tool are
        that there is a considerable lag in updating the board (if someone moves a
        card) and there is no way to import stuff into it. But its free, so I
        cannot complain. And thanks to Jeremy Lightsmith and Jeff Patton for making
        it available for all of us

        On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Alan Dayley <adayley@...> wrote:

        > Try cardmapping.com. It has some limitations but seems to strike a
        > reasonable balance between useful and too fancy.
        >
        > Alan
        >
        > On Apr 9, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Derek Davidson <derek.davidson@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > I've used TFS (in a .NET environment) and Jira with Greenhopper (in a Java
        > environment).
        >
        > I prefer to use physical boards only wherever possible but in
        > circumstances where that's not practical (i.e.: Distributed Teams), either
        > of the above fills the bill.
        >
        > --
        > Derek Davidson
        >

        > From: Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...>
        > Date: Tuesday, 9 April 2013 16:51
        > To: "scrumalliance@..." <scrumalliance@...>, <
        > scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>, <leanagile@yahoogroups.com>, "
        > Scrum-India@yahoogroups.com" <Scrum-India@yahoogroups.com>, <
        > extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [Scrum] Distributed team - tools for Story Mapping
        >
        > I am helping a distributed team (PO and developers in different locations)
        > and though, personally, I like "physical" story maps better, the team would
        > need an electronic tool for story mapping.
        >
        > Which electronic tool(s) have you used for "virtual" story maps?
        > Considering that we are currently using excel/google spread sheet to manage
        > stories, it would be great if the tool would have an "import" feature (so
        > that we need not write stories again) . Some form of "export" functionality
        > will be nice to have feature.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ram
        >
        > --
        >

        > --
        >

        > --

      • Ram Srinivasan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2013
          Thanks everyone for your input, am going to go with cardmapping for now, considering that it has an import feature. Cardboardit.com has a good "slicing feature" but does not have a way to easily import my stuff. May be I will consider it later

          Thanks,
          Ram

          Development of the cardmapping.com tool is continuing at cardboardit.com