RE: [scrumdevelopment] Appreciative Inquiry - Any pointers?

  • Jean Richardson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2013

      Dan –

      You pose an interesting and not uncommon problem:  “how I can motivate responsibility in people within a large organization without getting the top leadership on board”

      I suggest that sometimes people need to question the wisdom of modeling the behavior of their leaders broadly.  We all need to think for ourselves:  we’re born alone and die alone.  The space in between is too precious to simply say to ourselves:  The leader walked off the cliff; so must I.  If teams want to be successful in their work, and we, individually, want to have happy lives, we’ll likely find that taking responsibility for our choices is a necessary practice.

      Yes, there is plenty of history that shows people often don’t do this.  These stories generally end badly, as I’m sure you know.

      Also, I would question the notion of motivating others.  I’m not sure we can do this. We can tell them stories that might help them motivate themselves.

      Remembering some of our conversations last October, I’m betting you’re speaking about nominal leaders in organizations broadly, not about a specific group of managers in a specific organization.  (If they were real leaders, not nominal leaders, likely the problem you pose would not exist.)  While the stories we tell and the things we notice might vary in context based on the specific ways that nominal leaders are unsupportive, either in modeling or reward systems, of employees’ fulfilling their accountabilities (taking responsibility), the dynamic of employees waiting to act on their accountabilities until they are told/forced to by others is, I think, a pretty consistent phenomenon.  Bureaucratic deep hierarchies are absolute hothouses for it.

      Ultimately, such employees must ask themselves whether they will ever be the hero of their own lives, and what the cost of not being the hero of their own lives might be—to their team, their employer, their families, their communities more broadly, and themselves.  The conversations that leap into being from this conversation hold the seed of self-motivation no matter where the individual sits in the hierarchy.

      ---- Jean